Secure Delete

greyowl2

I read some comments on CC on FileForum that identified an issue with the secure delete. They said that it does not work and the items can be recovered with undelete software.

Is this an old problem that has been corrected now or still a current problem?

Thanks for your help.

Do you work for CSIS?

Do you have access to multi-million dollar hard disk recovery hardware?

If the answer is no to either then don't worry about it.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

It always did. CC overwrites the data in the file, and that cannot be recovered full blooming stop. However a file can possibly be reconstructed from other fragments that exist on disk from edits, pagefiles, sys recovery etc. This is entirely separate from the function of CC, which is to overwrite what you tell it to. Can you post a link to fileforum, for interest?

It always did. CC overwrites the data in the file, and that cannot be recovered full blooming stop. However a file can possibly be reconstructed from other fragments that exist on disk from edits, pagefiles, sys recovery etc. This is entirely separate from the function of CC, which is to overwrite what you tell it to. Can you post a link to fileforum, for interest?

Below is the link--the comment on Nov 11/07 identifies the problem:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/review/1100194579/1/view

• Moderators

Yes, I had a look at this when you posted earlier. It seems that the complaint is, or used to be, when securely deleting the recyler under Vista. The deleted filename structre under Vista is different from XP so this might have been the reason. I've not come across this myself as I use neither the recycler nor Vista, but I vaguely remember some posts a little while ago. Still, it appears to be fixed, and in far less time than two years, so go ahead.

The secure delete option has never, as far as I know, been promoted as a forensic cleaner (for want of a better phrase), and it clearly isn't. But it's fine for most users, and stops embarrassing pics of Shaun the Sheep popping up when your curious offspring press the Recuva icon.

It's almost impossible to hide completely either data, traces of data, or where you've been on a pc unless you completely overwrite the entire disk with a dos-type application and then reinstall Windows. Or hammer the disk to a pulp and then install a new one. Even then if you've been a really bad boy your ISP can provide evidence of your surfing and downloading activity from years back.