Which Is Best?

Yorkshireman

I have attached a screen shot of the different secure methods of deleting the things found by CCleaner, why? Because I have always wondered which is the most secure? Which truly deletes the best (i.e. removes as much trace, if not all, of the data)?

post-24727-1226854883_thumb.png

post-24727-1226854883_thumb.png

Yorkshireman

- [My Twitter Profile: Clicky]

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.

Albert Einstein

Hello Yorkshireman, and welcome to the forum.

This is a topic that has been discussed many times on this forum.

Using the search tool with terms like secure deletion will find many results.

Here's one that sums it up very well by Augeas.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=113594

I think that a simple overwrite is sufficient for most data.

Apologies, I should have done a search. :( And thank you for the welcome.

Ah right, so no matter which I choose they are pretty much doing the same? Over-writing the data? I currently use the last option, Gutmann (35 Passes), is that a good choice? I don't mind the wait, so long as it does a good job. :D Is it the most "secure"?

Yorkshireman

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.

Albert Einstein

Here's a post that explains what the difference is.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=100938

Gutman: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method

It sounds logical that the more you overwrite, the less of a chance there is to recover some data.

I personally think 35 passes is overkill. A simple overwrite is sufficient.

Overwriting once should stop regular forensic examinations. TLA agencies can examine drives with electron microscopes but unless its a case of national security, an individual would get a regular old forensic examination.

When your done with your hard drive you could do this: :lol:http://driveslag.eecue.com/

:lol: I think by my questions I am implying that I have something to hide, let me just say: it's nothing like that. I simply like things gone. :D I have a little OCD. :(

Thank you for your support/information, much appreciated. Also, I do intend on sticking around here; it looks like a nice place.

Yorkshireman

Albert Einstein

:D Good.

Yup, sure seems like it. I was just filling in my profile and other details... I'm ready to start looking around some more. ^_^

Yorkshireman

Albert Einstein

• Moderators
:D Good.

Yup, sure seems like it. I was just filling in my profile and other details... I'm ready to start looking around some more. ^_^

Hey Yorkshireman from Derbyshire. We're almost neighbours. I'm just up the road in County Durham. We're always happy to have new members who hang around.

:)

Hey Yorkshireman from Derbyshire. We're almost neighbours. I'm just up the road in County Durham. We're always happy to have new members who hang around. :)
Welcome

I grew up just north of Durham City and came to Canada in '57

I watch Heartbeat every week.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Hey Yorkshireman from Derbyshire. We're almost neighbours. I'm just up the road in County Durham. We're always happy to have new members who hang around.

:lol: At first I wondered why you pointed out where I lived, and then I read on. :P

It may be noticeable that I haven't posted much recently, this is because I've been busy. I'm working my way through, however.

Yorkshireman

Albert Einstein

:lol: It's not worth sticking around for. :P Nah am joking, we moved to Derbyshire for reasons. :D I'll be moving out of England soon (in life scale) later (in "near future" scale) enough; all being well.

Yorkshireman

Albert Einstein