Unused File Extensions in use?

Sparky

I have been exploring, but have not yet used the Registry cleaner portion of CCleaner.

After the analysis there are some file extensions listed as unused, when in reality they are in use:

.dws - Dreaweaver Site Cache

.pf - Prefetch

.tmp - Temp files

Is there any explanation for this? A search of my computer found these to be in use.

Thanks.

• Moderators

^_^ Please to read my signature and then all will be illuminated :ph34r:

The Registry cleaner is for those who are looking to make sure a program has cleaned up after itself NOT EVERY THING the registry Cleaner finds is to be removed!!!

Some one will come along in a second and guide you to the beginers guide I'm sure ;)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I have been exploring, but have not yet used the Registry cleaner portion of CCleaner.

After the analysis there are some file extensions listed as unused, when in reality they are in use:

.dws - Dreaweaver Site Cache

.pf - Prefetch

.tmp - Temp files

Is there any explanation for this? A search of my computer found these to be in use.

Thanks.

Hello Sparky,

Welcome to the forums!!! :D

My first recommendation to MOST users is to "leave the Registry alone" .

Every Registry will have "issues" and in most cases will not cause any noticeable slow downs or problems for most users. Messing with the Registry is for those who have sufficient backup methods of "all" their important data.

Most Registry cleaning products are used to make money for those marketing them. Most users never need such products.

If you are not sufficiently "Backed up" then leave this function alone until you are. Your data and system files must be secure before doing so. The Registry Issues function is only needed by those who do very,very much installing, testing and uninstalling of "dubious" software. All others will not need such things.

Nergal's advice is valuable to those that insist on doing such things and I recommend that you follow his advice.

Best wishes,

:) davey

Thanks for the good advice.

I had receieved similar advice previously, but had not yet really explored the Registry area and was just curious about these entries.

I'll leave that section of CCleaner alone for now.

Yep, Nergal's signature says it all.