CCleaner 1.13 dont clean Opera 2.62 adres history

Hi

Sorry for my english im from The Netherlands <_<

I have CCleaner 1.13 and Opera 2.62 (The New Versions).

If i start CCleaner and select everything by Opera Cookies Ect...

and start up clean and if it finished the Opera Adresses are not deleted!

All the website's are in my adres bar! And is not be cleaned! :huh:

Please Fix this!

ThAnX, ;)

Davey Bartels

• Moderators

Hi Davey, and welcome to the forum.

I assume you're talking about the Opera "Autocomplete Address Bar", which I really dislike. The easiest thing you can do is to disable it.

In the address bar type "opera:config" (without quotes). Press enter. Scroll down to and select "User Prefs".

Scroll down again to "Auto Dropdown", and uncheck the box. Scroll to the end of "User Prefs" and select "Save".

Thats it. No more list of suggested/previously visited sites. :)

Hope that helps, and your English is a hell of a lot better than my Dutch.

• Moderators

I've been researching and PC searching since this thread started, and unfortunately that prefs setting doesn't work for me with Opera 9.62, or with previous versions of Opera that had AutoComplete.

I can get addresses popping up in that drop down menu from when I first started using Opera with AutoComplete. I've even tried Uninstalling with Revo and searching with RegSeeker for every trace of Opera, but on doing a fresh install, all that data is still there.

It's no problem to clear Opera History, but clearing that doesn't clear the AutoComplete list.

The fix I posted above does work, and unless it was done wrongly, it completely disables the drop down menu. I've toggled it on and off numerous times to check it, and it works fine.

The AutoComplete Dropdown Menu was brought up recently in this topic, but not surprisingly, wasn't resolved.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=17972

It's also been the subject of some debate recently as this feature was considered to be a "Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability".

Opera.exe imports Opera.dll which handles most of the browser functionality. Whenever a user visits a page, the URL, and a part of the content of the visited page is saved and compressed in a file named md.dat. The file md.dat can be found at the following path in a standard Windows Opera installation:

c:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\vps\0000\md.dat

The vulnerability exists in the way the URL and the content of visited page is stored and rendered from the md.dat file.

And then to narrow it down even more:

Opera History Search Page Rendering:

When accessing the History Search page, Opera reads the file md.dat again. The content from md.dat is decompressed and saved into a buffer. The buffer is then used to generate a cache file that contains the HTML code of the history search page. The cache file can be found such as:

c:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\cache4\opr000EA

I've searched my PC for md.dat and opr000EA, and came up with nothing. The reason why I couldn't find them I think, is found in the article the above quotes came from.

Vulnerable Systems:

* Opera version 9.60 and prior

Link to Article:

They must have moved the goalposts to put right the "Scripting Vulnerability". So at the moment I have no idea where this info is now kept.

I don't want or need the AutoComplete feature, so if anyone wants to retain it, and clean it, then I suggest a visit to the Opera Forums for more information.

Having said that, I would have thought that having this feature work properly, would really require the Autodropdown List to be kept intact. Just a thought.

• Moderators

To add a bit more to this.

I agree with Dennis about the about:config setting he used. I also have mine unticked.

I showed the other settings in case the combination of these helped magic solve his problem.

I am at a bit of a loss to know why it didn't work for him.

Magic, did you find 'user prefs', or do you need a bit of help to find it?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
@ DennisD

Thanx for the time! But is to large information for my my english is not so good :unsure:.

Please can somebody tell my step by step what to do ?

My apologies Magic. My fault, not yours. With the language difference, I should have provided a visual description in the first place.

Hazels post covers it perfectly, but post back if you still have a problem.

• Moderators
Jesus! What a good support!

Question 1:

It work! But is it deleted or is the adres pop-up gone ?

Question 2:

If i come on this page i already logged in. How it can be if i cleaned opera ?

1: It isn't deleted, it's completely disabled, meaning it will never appear unless you check that box again.

2: Did you log out properly when you left the forum?

Not sure about this one without more information, such as are you keeping any cookies in CCleaner\Options\Cookies?