I have trouble with videos

Harry in CT

I am on dial up. On dial up, it takes time to see a video so I only watch short ones and rarely at that.

It used to be I could start a video going, and do something else while it loaded. Then I would restart it and watch it without the stops and starts.

Now I can't do that. I restart the video and it's like I never clicked on it before. Also some videos will play a short time and stop. They go to the 'play again' screen.

I must have messed some setting up, but which one?

I must have messed some setting up, but which one?

Hi Harry,

You haven't provided us with much information to go on, Harry.

However if you are using Internet Explorer , I do recommend using IE7Pro. It works with IE6 and up.

It has a Download Manager that may assist in your downloads. It is called MiniDM and it allows you to pick up where downloads failed and continue the downloading. Believe me I am no expert on video downloads but this may be a start towards a different method for your downloading and viewing. It sure has improved my browsing capabilities also. Since you are on dial-up I am sure the Tab History option will be a blessing for you, since it allows you to reopen the last closed tab. This helps me a lot.

http://www.ie7pro.com/

Don't forget to give us some info on your system, Operating system etc.

Where are you downloading from ?

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. Maybe some snapshots of your settings will help also.

Edited by davey

Hi Harry,

You haven't provided us with much information to go on, Harry.

However if you are using Internet Explorer , I do recommend using IE7Pro. It works with IE6 and up.

It has a Download Manager that may assist in your downloads. It is called MiniDM and it allows you to pick up where downloads failed and continue the downloading. Believe me I am no expert on video downloads but this may be a start towards a different method for your downloading and viewing. It sure has improved my browsing capabilities also. Since you are on dial-up I am sure the Tab History option will be a blessing for you, since it allows you to reopen the last closed tab. This helps me a lot.

http://www.ie7pro.com/

Don't forget to give us some info on your system, Operating system etc.

Where are you downloading from ?

Good luck,

P.S. Maybe some snapshots of your settings will help also.

I am using IE7 on Windows XP. I have trouble with YouTube, for example

but it could be any other.

Could it have anything to do with Flash Player?

The Gruff at ArtsWells 08 video works fine for me on XP Home SP3 but I have High Speed DSL.

What version of Flash Player do you have installed?

Secunia Online Software Inspector will show you:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

The Gruff at ArtsWells 08 video works fine for me on XP Home SP3 but I have High Speed DSL.

What version of Flash Player do you have installed?

Secunia Online Software Inspector will show you:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

I have Adobe Flash Player 9

That site you showed me says it couldn't scan because of some java problem.

I went to microsoft, and I having a problem downloading and installing that [java]

I thought I had java, but it's not in my list of programs.

I think ebay uses java, I see what happens there.

I'll post a new thread if I need help dealing with that issue, after I search first.

Right now I need to get my aging carcass to the store.

Thank you Yokenny and Davey.

I have Adobe Flash Player 9

That site you showed me says it couldn't scan because of some java problem.

I went to microsoft, and I having a problem downloading and installing that [java]

I thought I had java, but it's not in my list of programs.

Harry,

I don't doubt that most of your problems are server problems.

When you look at your Connection status do you get any indications of problems. Click on Status tab.

Note Properties options settings also.

t2112_20081018132847.png

If you have any Modem Helper type program then test your modem.

If OK and server keeps disconnecting then contact your ISP. Maybe they can test quicker than you can. :lol:

• Moderators

The connection speed is what I suspect! Dial-up just isn't worth the slow pain it is, there's inexpensive DSL at 1.5 Mbps which isn't the fastest but light years better than dial-up available through most ISP's.

Note that some sites use a time-out feature, meaning if you're on dial-up which obviously is going to be too slow for most video sites you may exceed their maximum time limit of caching the whole video content, and thus problems arise.