a problem with recuva

Kelvin

Welcome to Piriform Kelvin.

when i recover a .wmv movie.

it doesnt open mediaplayer says i miss a codex.

when i convert the converter says " no data "

if someone could help me out i would appriciate :rolleyes:

I've just tried you problem. I've just added a 4,840Kb wmv file to my flash drive, deleted it and used Recuva to restore it. When I try to play it with WMP it says

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play.

I don't get the CodeX error but I'm using Win98SE. The original one plays perfectly.

Its the exactly the same file size 4,840Kb.

We will have to see if anyone else has a similar problem. I presume you are using Recuva 1.19.350? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

I've just tried this on a smaller file (don't have a larger file, don't have many .wmv files at all): delete, recover and play. Worked fine. XPSP2 Home, Rec 1.19.350.

Can you look at the info tab and see if the original file has been overwritten with anything?

MrRon

Well I can't speak for Kelvin but my test was straight forward. Put a wmv file on a flash drive, delete it and try to recover it. I didn't notice if it had been overwritten but I wouldn't think so MrRon. I will double check when I get home. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I've just had a look at the Comment of the original file and it says No overwritten clusters detected but the State says Unrecoverable. I've just put another wmv file on the flash drive and deleted that one and it recovered that one perfectly and it plays. ;)

I've put the original wmv back on the flash and deleted it again, run Recuva and it says Unrecoverable again. Why would it say that if nothing else as been written to the drive? :angry:

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

If only we knew what criteria Recuva uses to rank the files. It doesn't try to open each file, there's not enough time for that. It isn't just whether the file has some of its clusters overwritten, as Keith shows. Some length/parity checks?