Internet connection problem

K, another weird thing that has been going on for awhile is when i go to certain sites (like certain myspace ones, or such) i get a "pop up" that basically says to connect my internet. its says "broadband connect" and is the same internet hitchup window that i get from my ip when i click on the icon to connect to the internet. things is, i am ALWAYS hitched up to the internet (i have DSL) which is through my phoneline, but i set up a static ip and it is always hooked up, automatically when i turn on my computer (just like cable). the page (s) wont fully load until i click "cancel" at which time the page loads. its not just myspace, and its not a virus, spyware, etc. (which im sure someone will think) as ive scanned my computer with multiple scans, multiple times and its always clean. its definately something to do with my internet connection configured off a bit, but not sure why. oh, and it only happens to my desktop, which is the one the internet is directly connected to, never my laptop which is wired as a secondary computer. i use a linksys router 350N, not sure if that helps.

any suggestions? :)

Some things you could check maybe?

Internet Options - Connections tab - Never dial a connection selected?

Set Telephony in services to disabled.

If using FF type about:config in the address bar and set "network.autodial-helper.enabled" to false.

See if it happens without the router hooked up.

I use cable but I thought with dsl you had to connect like dial up. Maybe some setting changed with your isp.

Exactly right rridgely. you do have to dial in, but i configured my set up so that it is automatically dialed in always so i never have to do that anymore.....just like on cable. thats the window that pops up.........but i am already connected and using the internet.....so it shouldnt happen.

ill try without the router...

• Moderators

I know my linksys router has a setting related to not having to dial up with dsl. If this just started happening out of the blue then I would think its something to do with that.

Let me know if you get that pop up without the router. :D

My guess is that maybe your IP changed.