All seems OK now Except no Internet Connection

razz

All problems seem to have been solved (a looong day trying tons of things finally paid off) EXCEPT for one more problem that I need help to solve. I have NO Internet connection. My modem and router are working fine (so is my wife?s PC which is 3 ft. away from mine).

Here is my current status for settings in msconfig:

General Tab

I am using Selective Startup and have a check mark in Process SYSTEM.INI File (so all items are checked under the SYSTEM,INI tab).

I am using Original BOOT.INI

I have enabled a few of the programs that I want to run under the Stratup tab.

WIN.INI Tab

I have all items listed disabled (i.e. not checked)

BOOT.INI Tab

Nothing checked so all disabled

Services Tab

Checkmark for only 3 items, as follows:

DCOM Service Process Launcher

(under Essential heading it says Yes) ? (Under Status it says Running).

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator

(under Essential heading it says Yes) - (under Status it says Stopped).

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

(under Essential heading it says Yes) ? (under Status it says Running).

If anyone can suggest what to do to get Internet Connection, I would greatly appreciate it!

I assume its just some setting or something I have to activate.

Thank you.

All problems seem to have been solved (a looong day trying tons of things finally paid off) EXCEPT for one more problem that I need help to solve. I have NO Internet connection. My modem and router are working fine (so is my wife?s PC which is 3 ft. away from mine).

Here is my current status for settings in msconfig:

General Tab

I am using Selective Startup and have a check mark in Process SYSTEM.INI File (so all items are checked under the SYSTEM,INI tab).

I am using Original BOOT.INI

I have enabled a few of the programs that I want to run under the Stratup tab.

WIN.INI Tab

I have all items listed disabled (i.e. not checked)

BOOT.INI Tab

Nothing checked so all disabled

Services Tab

Checkmark for only 3 items, as follows:

DCOM Service Process Launcher

(under Essential heading it says Yes) ? (Under Status it says Running).

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator

(under Essential heading it says Yes) - (under Status it says Stopped).

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

(under Essential heading it says Yes) ? (under Status it says Running).

If anyone can suggest what to do to get Internet Connection, I would greatly appreciate it!

I assume its just some setting or something I have to activate.

Thank you.

Hi razz,

Seems like you have been busy.

You comment about Services and what is checked and not checked concerns me.

Time to visit Black Viper and Review your Windows services for XP. Right?

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Also note what he has to say about Msconfig and services.

Once you get your Services set, I recommend that you turn everything on and connected and then Run the Network Wizard on both your PCs and also Wireless wizard if needed.

Time for a Reboot. Both PCs. Don't skip this !!!

Now try your Internet.

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. I would not run any "cleaners", do any "defrags" or "delete" anything for at least 2 or 3 days.

I know , "some" things have to be "deleted" or "uninstalled" but don't do "anything" maintenance related unless it is absolutely necessary. You may never realize this and I hope so but doing this in this fashion may save you lots of time if necessary.

P.S. Also razz, it is important to NOT Start a "new topic" each time something changes. Please keep all related updates and Posts in the same thread.

It is also important that when someone is helping you as in YoKenny's case, if they ask you for information then you must provide that information. This is very important for you to get the correct information and help that is needed. The information that he asked for such as CPU,etc. is some of the most basic information needed to provide help. If you are not certain then provide what you can and let those helping you figure out how you can find that information.

No bad feelings at all, here. :P You just need to follow these guidelines so you are helped properly. It also makes it easier for others to understand what has already transpired. :P

Edited by davey

Dont play with your services, its more of a headache then the couple of seconds it saves in time.

Download dial a fix found here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...ial-a-fix.shtml

Its easy to use. Install and click all the boxes and run it. I will bet it will fix your problem. Its a tried and true freeware product by djlizard. :)

Dont play with your services, its more of a headache then the couple of seconds it saves in time.

Download dial a fix found here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...ial-a-fix.shtml

Its easy to use. Install and click all the boxes and run it. I will bet it will fix your problem. Its a tried and true freeware product by djlizard. :)

It would quite likely be of help, but I am not able to download it because I have no Internet connection.

davey, thank you for all your suggestions and help. I will read those links you provided.

In reference to starting another subject, I thought that because I no longer had the same problem (and that in fact that specific problem had been solved), I thought I should start a new subject with my "new" problem.

Thanks again :)

GOOD news all, for me and I am sure for you too because now I won't be bothering you with the problems I have had over the last 2 days.

All has been fixed. My PC is running like new, Internet connection and all.

Thank you all for all your support and help regarding all my issues. I really, really appreciate it. You guys are the best!

I will outline my fix, in case you are wondering and to close this subject with a comment that may serve someone with a similar problem to mine:

What caused the blue screen coming up every 3 minutes or so after each start-up was "dumprep 0-k", which has now been disabled. I gather this certainly is not needed because dumpreg is for the message pop-up "program has encountered an error and must close, to report this error to Microsoft, click send".

I tried the following steps in order to totally get rid of it, but it still shows up under startup items (but like I said, now its disabled), but these steps may work well for others:

Right click My Computer and select Properties, now click the Advanced Tab, look under Startup and Recovery, click Settings, down towards the bottom there is a drop down box under Write Debugging Information, click the arrow and select none and make sure that the word None stays in the box and click ok, now click the Error Reporting button and choose Disable Error Reporting. Now click OK and Ok.

Now go to start, search Local Drive, search for *.DMP and delete the files that it fines, empty recycle bin.

Now run MSCONFIG and see if that program is still in the startup area, if it's gone great, if not you may need to edit the registry:

Start Run type regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Select KernelFaultCheck name and hit delete.

So after I disabled ?dumprep 0-k? all worked fine on my PC but I did not have Internet connection. To finally solve that problem I contacted my Internet provider and he was able to help fix the problem. This was the fix:

Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections

Now ?LAN or High ? Speed Internet ? window opens and shows Local Area Connection.

It should say Connected. If not then right ? click and click disable. Reboot. Get back to same place then right ? click and click on Enable. Now Local Area Connection should say Connected and now you should have Internet connection.

Hopefully this may be of some help to some people.

Hi razz, do you have a USB flash drive, or even a camera memory card you could use to transfer it from the PC you're on now, over to yours.

Dial-a-fix is a very small app. Only just over 300kb.

Great idea Dennis. I have to keep that camera memory card in mind. Neat trick. :P

All WinXP users should have Dial-a-fix. It has helped me many times and I use some of it's Tools frequently.

DAF works on all pertinent 32-bit versions of Windows: 98, 98SE, Me, 2000, XP, and Server 2003. Dial-a-fix dynamically disables functions that are not applicable to your version of Windows. The version of Windows with the most support and functionality is currently Windows XP.

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix

Thanks,

:) davey

Hi razz, do you have a USB flash drive, or even a camera memory card you could use to transfer it from the PC you're on now, over to yours.

These USB dongle things come in handy:

http://www.thecamerabin.com/246494/8221681.html

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/usb20caremea.html

My Brother MFC-240C All-in-One has 3 different types of flash adapters and take the 128MB Flash memory from my Nikon digital camera real easy so that I could print the photos directly or upload them to my system.

Those Flash memory cards are real handy as they expand the memory of my Palm Tungsten E2 with one.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Sorry razz i should have been more clear. I assumed that since you were accessing the internet from your wifes computer that you would be able to download it and I just assumed everybody these days had a small drive for transfers (you can get several gb drives for about 10 bucks these days). But even if you fixed the problem, i would suggest getting dial a fix in case of future problems. Ive used it with much success many times when ive messed with things i shouldnt have. :)

Word to the wise, dont mess with the services. :)

razz, it's good of you to post back and let the guys who helped you know the problem was fixed, and the method.

Sadly not everybody does that.

Thank you Dennis. That's the least I could do after you guys gave me so much of your time and effort. You all are a great bunch of people.