Firefox & Thunderbird

craigathus

Hi all ;)

I've made "Firefox" my default browser & "Thunderbird" my default e-mail program.

When I was using IE7 & Outlook Express, I always ran these apps sandboxed! just to be on the safe side:)

Should I bother with Sandboxie when using the Mozilla apps?

Do I need to worry about "security" as I did with the Microsoft products?

Thanks in advance B)

What makes you think that Firefox and Thunderbird are so safe?

There is no such thing as a safe browser or email reader.

There are things that can make them safer such as you are doing and making sure the system defenses are up to date.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

What makes you think that Firefox and Thunderbird are so safe?

There is no such thing as a safe browser or email reader.

There are things that can make them safer such as you are doing and making sure the system defenses are up to date.

Hi YoKenny ;)

So your suggesting that I use Sandboxie with "Firefox & Thunderbird"?

[so your suggesting that I use Sandboxie with "Firefox & Thunderbird"?
I use neither and have not used Sandboxie either.

I prefer IE7 with IEPro and I'm testing IE8 beta2 with IE7Pro on my old PIII and they work great.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

Hi craig, I don't use Sandboxie either (Returnil), but I'm sure Humpty will give you some input when he sees your thread, and MHO?

If it doesn't slow you down at all, and is easy to use, I'd use it. Can't go wrong having that extra layer of protection.

Nice to see you back on here. It's been a wee while.

:)

I use Firefox and Thunderbird. I also use Sandboxie. Sandboxie is a great program to use with any app that you are going to connect to the Internet with. I will use Firefox sandboxed if I am going to be visiting unfamiliar sites or a site I have doubts about. I do this with all browsers I use though. Buttom line is that Sandboxie is excellent and works well with Firefox and Thunderbird.

Buttom line is that Sandboxie is excellent and works well with Firefox and Thunderbird.

How do you setup your e-mail client with Sandboxie so you don't lose your incoming e-mail and copies of your outgoing e-mail when Sandboxie is closed and the sandbox contents are deleted?

^There are some options in Sandboxie called Quick Recovery and Immediate Recovery where you can add whatever folder(s) said email client stores the files you want.

EDIT: Sandboxie's options has an expandable category called Applications which contains what you want. Disregard the first part.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

EDIT: Sandboxie's options has an expandable category called Applications which contains what you want. Disregard the first part.

Yes you can exclude the Thunderbird Inbox from being sandboxed using that option. What happens than is anything in your folders will be really there not sandboxed but when you open the the email it's opened in Thunderbird Sandboxed and you are protected from an infected email. When you close TB the sandbox is emptied and all the crap that was in the infected email with it but the email is still in your inbox because the inbox was not sandboxed.

Hi craig, I don't use Sandboxie either (Returnil), but I'm sure Humpty will give you some input when he sees your thread, and MHO?

If it doesn't slow you down at all, and is easy to use, I'd use it. Can't go wrong having that extra layer of protection.

Nice to see you back on here. It's been a wee while.

:)

Hi Dennis ;)

I've been tied up with work and other boring stuff :wacko:

I hope to spend more time on the net & here in the future :lol:

Thanks to all for the replies to my post :)