Registry access

Bob L

I need help to restore cc backup

On right-click / merge I get the error message:

"cannot import c:\. . . . . . . .\cc_20080911.082906.reg: error accessing the registry"

I have no idea what is blocking the merge ~ Help!

Hi Bob,

You may have figured it out already but I think you have Regedit already open for some other reason.

Close it and try the "merge" again.

Good luck,

:) davey

• Moderators

If davey's incorrect, which is rare ^_^ , it may be that you need to be logged in as an administrator

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

If davey's incorrect, which is rare ^_^ , it may be that you need to be logged in as an administrator

Who me ? Incorrect ? I am never incorrect. Once I thought that I was incorrect about something but I found out later that I was mistaken. :lol:

Your answer makes more sense than mine. It could be that or permissions. I have never had this message personally but of course my chances are improving by the minute. :P

Davey ~ As far as I am aware regedit was not open and I have tried since both ways and get the same error message on merge.

Nergal ~ I am running a single PC with no other users. I am shown as administrator and no guests

------------------------

Is this relevant?

One of the "errors" for correction was <unused file extension | .xml| HKCU\Software|Microsoft|windows|CurrentVersion|explorer|FileExts|.xml

(I have about 2000 .xml files) and when I *do* open it in regedit it shows: (default) . . . . REG_SZ

but trying to open "sub-key"

OpenWithProgids

gives an error message: Cannot open OpenWithProgids: Error while opening key.

Bob.

Davey ~ As far as I am aware regedit was not open and I have tried since both ways and get the same error message on merge.

Nergal ~ I am running a single PC with no other users. I am shown as administrator and no guests

------------------------

Is this relevant?

One of the "errors" for correction was <unused file extension | .xml| HKCU\Software|Microsoft|windows|CurrentVersion|explorer|FileExts|.xml

(I have about 2000 .xml files) and when I *do* open it in regedit it shows: (default) . . . . REG_SZ

but trying to open "sub-key"

OpenWithProgids

gives an error message: Cannot open OpenWithProgids: Error while opening key.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

You might try this first.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-th...-in-windows-xp/

You may also need this to restore .reg file associations.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

I stayed to send this but I have to go. Others will always assist you also.

P.S. Turn off Unused file extentions in Registry issues also if you are going to continue using it. At least until get a little more experience. You must be getting there because you pointed out some important things. :P

Edited by davey