CCleaner making AOL.com/redirect ... IE pop ups

blacks3ven

About a week ago, I ran CCleaner and it's built in registry cleaner. Shortly after 60 IE browsers popped up with "www.aol.com/redirect/..." It would display a single small AIM ad in the top left.

I ran a hand full of anti viruses, spyware, adware scanners, etc... but everything came up clean. The best part is, is when these pop ups came... it would lock up your computer so you couldn't track down where they were coming from which made it sound even more like a virus. From another computer I changed all of my pw's and called to cancel my credit card and get a new one.

I then backed up my computer and reformatted. Everything has been smooth until I decided to download CCleaner again since it (used to be) a great app. About 10 seconds later... BAM! 60 IE browsers.

I decided to do a system restore in hopes that it would roll back completely and not keep the changes made to the directory and all that jazz. We will see in the next day or so if the IE's flood again.

About a week ago, I ran CCleaner and it's built in registry cleaner. Shortly after 60 IE browsers popped up with "www.aol.com/redirect/..." It would display a single small AIM ad in the top left.

I ran a hand full of anti viruses, spyware, adware scanners, etc... but everything came up clean. The best part is, is when these pop ups came... it would lock up your computer so you couldn't track down where they were coming from which made it sound even more like a virus. From another computer I changed all of my pw's and called to cancel my credit card and get a new one.

I then backed up my computer and reformatted. Everything has been smooth until I decided to download CCleaner again since it (used to be) a great app. About 10 seconds later... BAM! 60 IE browsers.

I decided to do a system restore in hopes that it would roll back completely and not keep the changes made to the directory and all that jazz. We will see in the next day or so if the IE's flood again.

This could be real trouble. So, several questions.

01 Where did you download from?

02 Is Firefox your default browser?

03 Have you installed AIM?

04 What did you backup before you formatted?

05 How did you restore your backups?

06 What anti-spyware programs are you using?

Good Luck!

Vic

VicLovan.com

http://www.viclovan.com/ccleaner2settings.htm

Where did you download CCleaner from?

It could be that the backup is infected with one of the antivirus2008 trojans that are rampant on the Internet these days.

Please review post #15 as it shows my experience with having to use SDFix on a Flash stick to remove the infection:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=17626

Edited by YoKenny

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Hi blacks3ven-

This may not apply to you, but.....

AOL could be causing the problems with their forced "upgrade" to AOL9.1. This bloated "upgrade" will take you directly to the internet with WebAOL as the home page and install a lot of add-ons, gadgets, etc. including AIM. They should have, but may not have offered a choice for this "upgrade". If you choose to "upgrade", do a custom install to slim up this bloated thing. I went through this with my VistaSP1 laptop and am fending it off on the older XPSP3 laptop (AOL9.0SE). Yep, we're still on dial-up.