Learning to use Recuva forum

Delius

Hi all, I'm Delius and I'm new here- sorry if not using the forum properly yet. My brother accidentally deleted 8 GB of family photos from the last 10 years. (He mistakenly reformatted the wrong hard drive, whilst reinstalling Windows XP). The drive is 80 GB in size. I put it away immediately and no one has touched it.

If I put this drive in a separate 'reader case' and scan it via a firewire cable, will Recuva write anything on it while its looking for my photos?

Thanks Delius

Hi all, I'm Delius and I'm new here- sorry if not using the forum properly yet. My brother accidentally deleted 8 GB of family photos from the last 10 years. (He mistakenly reformatted the wrong hard drive, whilst reinstalling Windows XP). The drive is 80 GB in size. I put it away immediately and no one has touched it.

If I put this drive in a separate 'reader case' and scan it via a firewire cable, will Recuva write anything on it while its looking for my photos?

Thanks Delius

Hi Delius,

Welcome to the forums. :)

You take care of your brothers feelings right now, OK. I am sure he feels awful.

You came to the right place.

Recuva will not put anything onto your other drive. Make sure of each Drive assignment.

You just double check everything as you go along. Get your brother to assist. Two heads are better than one.

At the top of this forum you will see special topics under the heading Important Topics on the left hand side.

They start with this topic and include a Beginners Guide

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14299

Best wishes to you and your brother,

:) davey

P.S. You can get advice to backup that data to disk, CD and DVD in the Software forum. Of course you want to "recover" from the old drive to another hard drive first.

There are others on this forum that may want to give you some specific advice as to how to handle this situation. Please wait for the other members to respond. They understand how important this is to you and your family.

Was the Drive in question originally the C drive or what?

Can you also tell us a little more detail about the old hard drive, your system, your XP version, edition etc. Do you have other removable disks, flash drives , memory sticks etc?

The more info the better.

Edited by davey

• Moderators

If your initial scan doesn't turn up what you want to recover you'll need to enable two advanced options:

1. When the Recuva wizard loads click Cancel to get into the main application.
  2. Now in the Advanced area click Options, Advanced and enable both of these:
    * Deep Scan (increases scan time)
    * Scan for non-deleted files (for recovery from damaged or reformatted disks)

Of course you could easily be looking at a several hours long scan!

Edit:

You may be interested in this thread as well.