Blocked links and pop-ups

Jilly

Can someone help me? I'm not very well-versed in computer things. The other day my husband downloaded CCleaner and now all the links and pop-ups in my emails are blocked! I can't find any settings to change and it's driving me crazy!

Welcome to Piriform Jilly.

Can someone help me? I'm not very well-versed in computer things. The other day my husband downloaded CCleaner and now all the links and pop-ups in my emails are blocked! I can't find any settings to change and it's driving me crazy!

First of all I think we need a few more details.

1) What is your Operating System with Service Pack number?

2) What application do you use to access your emails? And what do you mean by pop-ups? I don't have pop-ups in my emails.

3) Are you running any Adware or Spyware apps?

4) Don't blame CCleaner for this fault. Thousands of users including myself have been using CCleaner for years without any problems. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Thanks for your input!

1) I use Microsoft Windows, service pack 2 I think (??)

2) For email I just use Windows Explorer. I go to the aol.com site to access my mail. As fas as what I mean by pop-ups, well, there are emails that contain links to click here and it opens a new window, what I'm calling a pop-up. I suppose they're really no different from just links.

3) I wouldn't know if I'm running any adware or spyware. Certainly nothing I'm doing intentionally. But like I said, I'm not much of a computer expert.

4) We've already gotten good reports about CCleaner so I'm not realy to place any "blame." I just want to be able to follow the links in my email like I always have.

Sounds like your security and preferences were altered in Internet Explorer. Also consider the settings for IE's popup blocker & phishing filter. Both accessed via the Tools menu. If your using IE7 also try going to the Tools menu, Internet Options, General Tab, Tab Settings (click the settings button). In the section "When a popup is encountered" select the options to let Internet Explorer to decide. Attached a screenshot

2) For email I just use Windows Explorer. I go to the aol.com site to access my mail. As fas as what I mean by pop-ups, well, there are emails that contain links to click here and it opens a new window, what I'm calling a pop-up. I suppose they're really no different from just links.

3) I wouldn't know if I'm running any adware or spyware. Certainly nothing I'm doing intentionally. But like I said, I'm not much of a computer expert.

4) We've already gotten good reports about CCleaner so I'm not realy to place any "blame." I just want to be able to follow the links in my email like I always have.

Hi again Jilly.

1) Most operating systems are Windows which version of Windows are you using? Windows9x/ME, Windows 2000, WindowsXP or Windows Vista. Open Windows Explorer and click on Help\About Windows of the menu bar. Or right-click on My Computer and select Properties and read what it says under System.

2) Windows Explorer isn't an email client its just a file manager. Are you thinking about Internet Explorer? So you email address is something like yourname@aol.com so AOL is your ISP?

3) Typically with the later Windows operating systems you don't know what is running or installed. Therefore I would recommend you download and install HijackThis 2.0.2 its free and this will give you a list of all processes that are running and you can save the results to a file which you can post here as an attachment or just copy and paste the contents of the file in a reply. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

3) Typically with the later Windows operating systems you don't know what is running or installed. Therefore I would recommend you download and install HijackThis 2.0.2 its free and this will give you a list of all processes that are running and you can save the results to a file which you can post here as an attachment or just copy and paste the contents of the file in a reply. ;)
Im just currious. What is the purpose in doing this? TIA

Im just currious. What is the purpose in doing this? TIA

Because she doesn't know what is running all the time, Adware Spyware etc or any other rubbish running in the background. ;)

My first reply

1) What is your Operating System with Service Pack number?

We assume its Windows but which version. It appears that Jilly isn't very computer literate so we have to explain everything in more detail. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I just prefer to TS a problem without installing additional applications
What the heck does that mean?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

You know Tough Shoes or Trouble Shoot.

:) davey

I see.

I thought it might be Tensile Strength

I was sure hoping it was not one of the other TS things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ts

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Hi Jilly,

Your "hubby" definitely meant well.

I think you need to review your "cookies to keep" and do so. You may also need to go to AOL.com and re-establish your account. They will probably download some info to your "cookies" File or Macromedia/Adobe Flash Player files.

You need to uncheck the cleaning of these on the Applications tab at Cleaner > Applications tab. I don't use AOL but you may need to turn off any cleaning listed for that also.

See these links below. Also "hubby" needs to review them. It could be as simple as re-entering your password info and turning off Autocomplete Form History cleaning option under Cleaner > Internet Explorer list in CCleaner.

Good luck,

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

Beginners advice

Start here with this link and follow its advice.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=105208

Also see this link about the Registry and newbies.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=96510

Come back and let us know how you did and what else we can help you with. There are lots of easy things to learn. One step at time.

Edited by davey

I know you were thinking "Turf Ship" like ToTo leaves behind when he has been visiting. :o

Dorothy: [has just arrived in Oz, looking around and awed at the beauty and splendor] Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more.

Dorothy: [after a pause] We must be over the rainbow!

[a bubble appears in the sky and gets closer and closer. It finally lands, then turns into Glinda the Good Witch wearing a spectacular white dress and crown, holding a wand]

Dorothy: [to Toto] Now I... I know we're not in Kansas!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/quotes

IE7Pro user

Agreed on all points. I just prefer to TS a problem without installing additional applications if possible. But this situation calls for less than typical solutions.

I would think TS means Trouble Shoot Davey.

But she is going to find it very difficult to TS if you doesn't know what to look for. HijackThis 2.0.2 isn't that much of an install and she has to start somewhere. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best