Fast losing disk space, can CCleaner help?

krrosst

Hallo there.

I was losing disk space about 2 months ago and a friend suggested CCleaner to me. I downloaded it and installed it on my laptop. I manage to regain about 30Gigs of lost space. ( My HDD is 66.5G, I was left with about 5G, after using CCleaner (or something else) I went back to about 35G free space) Now (again) I'm only left with only 1G, have done what I did before but I can't regain the lost space. Have removed programmes, files (I'm even afraid I've removed important system files) I have used CCleaner as well. The problem is that I'm not a computer expect, not even a proficient user, am just an internet fanatic and don't really know much about the technicalities of computers. I have tried disk cleanup, defragmentor, restore, all in vain.

There are no music or video files on my computer. What could be eating my space so much? I am a fan of Facebook, can it cause disk space to shrink?

Please help

Krrosst

• Moderators

Firstly what operating system are you using xp or vista?

Not really a good idea to remove important system files :)

Perhaps it is to do with how much space you have allocated to your system restore.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I think sys restore uses a max of 12.5% of the disk by default, and shouldn't get anywhere near that in normal useage. XP Home and a few ancillaries uses less than 10 gb.

Using over 30 gb of space in two months is about 500 mb a day downloaded to your pc. I may be wrong, but that seems like an awful lot to me. Are you sure you are clearing out your temp internet files and temp folders? If you are, then that 30 gb is stuff you downloaded to keep.

Have a look in your folders, esp My Documents. Open c:\Documents and Settings\your name, and see what the size of My Documents folder is. Do the same with c:\Windows\Temp. See if you can find any huge folders, and let us know what they are.