Cannot Remove All "Index.dat" Files

Mac

After running CCleaner on WinXP (Service Pack 3), I ran the Windows search utility and found numerous "Index.dat" files scattered throughout my file directory. No matter how many times I run CCleaner, the "Index.dat" files persist in hanging on. How can I get rid of them?

Those index.dat files are not deleted, only cleaned. So if the file size is 16Kb or 32KB, they are clean.

I use a batch file created with 'Index.dat Suite' program. The batch file run at Windows start-up.

Edit: Well, they are deleted, but new (clean) ones are created.

Those index.dat files are not deleted, only cleaned. So if the file size is 16Kb or 32KB, they are clean.

I use a batch file created with 'Index.dat Suite' program. The batch file run at Windows start-up.

Edit: Well, they are deleted, but new (clean) ones are created.

I ran CCleaner again, rebooted, and ran the Windows search uility. This resulted in a list of 28 index.dat files. With one exception they are all sized at 32 KB, 16KB, or smaller. The one exception is an 85KB file located in the directory "c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\OffineCache".

What will happen if I manually delete all of the index.dat files from inside the Search window?

You can just delete it, if you can.
You can't delete index.dat files as Windows has them locked open.

Note: do not delete the index.dat file located in the directory "c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\OffineCache".

Index.dat Suite has a cleaning routine that will remove unused index.dat files and clean the ones in use:

http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Product...=Index.datSuite

It can also schedule a defrag run at bootup before the majority of the Windows applications become active.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Note: do not delete the index.dat file located in the directory "c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\OffineCache".

You are right. Found this with Google:

C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\index.dat

Once this file is deleted, (MS)Sysinfo becomes disabled, and/or parts of Help & Support behave differently

I don't have index.dat file in my OfflineCache folder. I have read that files in ...\HelpCtr\OfflineCache folder can be deleted. Well, but not the index.dat file.

I noticed, that 'Index.dat Suite' batch file doesn't delete my index.dat files after all. I know, because i decided to take a look index.dat files on my system. They all were 16 or 32Kb, BUT some of those 32Kb size files STILL contained info of my visited sites.

Well, i checked CCleaner's index.dat cleaning option and scanned with it; it found and was set to clean 2 index.dat files, including 32kb file in my Userprofile/Cookies folder. That ID file still contained information. But after reboot, it was 16Kb and EMPTY. CCleaner was able to delete it.

What i used with 'Index.dat Suite', was a batch file, which was running from a Start-up folder. I also tried to set it run from HKEY_LM\Run, but no joy. I think the problem with 'Index.dat Suite' batch file was, that it runs too late, after Windows Explorer has already started and locked those ID files.

So CCleaner seems to be able deal with those index.dat files, but it was only set to delete 2 ID files. There's some other ID files, that i would like to delete, since they also still contains some information. How can i set CCleaner to delete more ID files?

I think the problem with 'Index.dat Suite' batch file was, that it runs too late, after Windows Explorer has already started and locked those ID files.

Discuss Index.dat Suite operation with the program's author Steven Burn ( MysteryFCM ) over at its forum:

http://forum.hosts-file.net/viewforum.php?...4f5a5603dc9764a

From what I understand the index.dat files constantly grow unless cleaned out by CCleaner or Index.dat Suite at reboot and they will contain old information like pointers to cookies and History information.

The real purpose and how they really work is a mystery known only to Outlook Express developers that probably have long forgotten why they did it their way and have moved on to Windows Live Mail development.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

How does this CCleaner index.dat deleting actually works, since it does not create any registry Run entries or does not integrate into Winlogon Shell.?

Have a look at WhyReboot:

http://exodusdev.com/products/whyreboot?re...p;ver=1.0.1.537

IE7Pro user