Had to Reactivate XP

Humpty

Working on a young fellas P4 1.8ghz 256 ddr ram where I cleaned up a few things.I had a couple of extra sticks of 256 ddr ram laying around so I put one into his machine to bring it up to 512 ram.

After plugging in the ram and restarting XP a message along the lines of "A major hardware change has been detected and you need to reactvate XP" came up.

It reactivated no probs but come on, a major hardware change just by plugging in an extra stick of ram. :blink:

Anyone ever seen this before? :unsure::lol:

Working on a young fellas P4 1.8ghz 256 ddr ram where I cleaned up a few things.I had a couple of extra sticks of 256 ddr ram laying around so I put one into his machine to bring it up to 512 ram.

After plugging in the ram and restarting XP a message along the lines of "A major hardware change has been detected and you need to reactvate XP" came up.

It reactivated no probs but come on, a major hardware change just by plugging in an extra stick of ram. :blink:

Anyone ever seen this before? :unsure::lol:

Adding 256 DDR MB to my 256 DDR RAM PC, I would consider a major hardware change. :lol:

Especially if the module monitoring such events was written maybe 6 - 8 yrs. ago 256 MB increase would be a "BIG" change.

I wonder if it is a 16 bit program.

Humpty, this "young" guy I know may drop by with his P4 2.8 ghz 256 DDR RAM and have a few things cleaned up.

You're a good guy, Charlie Brown.

:) davey

P.S. If I reactivate my XP will my PC phone home to MS soon.

I didn't read larry's link, but if you mean motherboards, then yes. RAM wouldn't phone home, at least it should not.

AJ

From what I found on Google,I imagined running those programs may reset some info for MS.

Maybe they pick it up next Auto update or "Patch Tuesday"?

oobe/msoobe Kinda reminds of one of my all time favorite singers !!! ROY ORBISON B)

:) davey