Recuva still brings up images I deleted with CCleaner

dalek kahn

Hi.

I am new to CCleaner. I downloaded it and found it excellent.I also downloaded Recuva and found I could not clean everything.Why? Is there a solution?

I would be glad to get some advice.

Email address edited out by moderator to avoid spamming

Hi.

I am new to CCleaner. I downloaded it and found it excellent.I also downloaded Recuva and found I could not clean everything.Why? Is there a solution?

I would be glad to get some advice. Dalek Kahn

Yes.Glad for your help.

Thanks for all the advice.How do I use secure deletion on CCleaner?

• Moderators

My advice would be to edit your email address out of your posts. Recuva will not secure delete smaller files (1k or so) as they can be held in the MFT which is, as far as Recuva goes, inviolable. You will however get a message regarding this when you attempt the delete.

Recuva will not appear to delete files which have been overwritten by subsequent live files, as you will in effect be looking at the live file. It will overwrite the 'spare' parts of the old file though.

• Moderators

Actually re-reading your post and thread title, do you mean that you are deleting files using CC and then discovering them with Recuva?

CC with normal deletion will delete files just as if you had shift/del'd them yourself. They will be identifiable and recoverable with Recuva. Using CC with secure deletion (one pass please) will rename the files and overwrite them with binary zeroes, so you will not be able to identify them easily with Recuva, and not recover them at all.

Why "(one pass please)" Augeas, rather than 3 or 7? (or 35?)
One pass is enough unless you know of someone with very sophisticated data recovery software or you are afraid that the CIA, FBI or Interpol have you on their "Most Wanted" list?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Actually re-reading your post and thread title, do you mean that you are deleting files using CC and then discovering them with Recuva?

CC with normal deletion will delete files just as if you had shift/del'd them yourself. They will be identifiable and recoverable with Recuva. Using CC with secure deletion (one pass please) will rename the files and overwrite them with binary zeroes, so you will not be able to identify them easily with Recuva, and not recover them at all.

Thanls for the advice.How do I use secure deletion On CCleaner?

Welcoem to Piriform dalek kahn.

Thanls for the advice.How do I use secure deletion On CCleaner?

Open up CC and click on Options and Settings. In the Secure deletion option buttons select the one you want to use but as it says Secure file deletion is slower. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform dalek kahn.

Open up CC and click on Options and Settings. In the Secure deletion option buttons select the one you want to use but as it says Secure file deletion is slower. ;)

Secure deletion works. Thanks everyone.sorry about clumsy messages. Excellent tools.