parental control suggestions

flyinghooves

I've read one or two fairly good reviews about NetNanny , but don't really know.

Depends a bit what sort of age they are, and how savvy. Past a certain age (which apparently is getting younger) if they are determined to look at "inappropriate stuff" there may be little you can do to prevent that happening. There are ways around most parental software. There are ways of resetting the admin account password, which quite possibly the average 12 year old might be au-fait with. And it's quite easy.

Parents I've spoken with, and sensible articles read suggest things like: Have the computer in the family room; not in their bedrooms, Educate, warn, set boundaries (mainly regarding how much information should NOT be shared on line, and why, malware possibility aside, and NEVER to "meet" an internet friend unless accompanied by an adult)... all pretty sensible and logical stuff.

One of my best friends let his kids pretty much surf wherever they wanted, just gave them graphic and realistic (but not too gritty) warnings about the pitfalls, and cautioned them that if malware crippled the computer, it would be re-formatted/ fresh installed.

With the "forbidden fruit" aspects removed, maybe the temptation is less, don't really know. The kids were girls, too, so maybe not the best example...

ok, I am not looking to spy :blink: I just want to make sure my kids have limited exposure to inappropriate stuff.

Ideas? recommendations?? They google google google and click click click

Lisa

I have seen only a few other parental control questions on the Piriform forums.I am sure there are some good answers out there.

What comes to my mind is how to protect the viability of your PC.

Do you "hide" all your maintenance,utility,etc icons.One or two clicks and many files are gone or Registry corrupted.

I wonder what grandparents do when the grandkids come to visit.I am not sure. A "Sandbox" or what.

Hope you get some of those ideas offered from the members as well.It will help many members.

Best wishes,

:) davey

What comes to my mind is how to protect the viability of your PC.
The kids nowadays have access to so much information that it must be baffling and frustrating to try to help to instill a bit of Wisdom into kids that "Know Everything".

I would make the system only available at times that parents are able to supervise the Internet activity and when they are not then the system should be under a strong lock and key that should be kept in a secure location.

This may seem like Draconian measures but the Internet is not a safe place to wander about.

Especially for the young naive people filled with wide eyed expectation and at that age feel that they are invincible and indestructible.

Witness the young 13 year old girl that was lured to a Montreal hotel to meet who she thought was a real young man that met her on the Internet who was from Brussels Belgium that promised romance but instead came face to face with a child predator.

As I often heard that "There are no technical solutions for management problems" and modern parenting is a management problem.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
Ideas? recommendations?? They google google google and click click click

Throw away computer. Lock kids in house. Just joking! :P

Actually there's all kinds of software (including a web browser which I don't remember the name of), and websites geared for kids and kid-safe. Albeit some sort of filtering/protection software would still be required since practically anything can be posted on any website that leads the unweary astray.

You may want to check out the MVPS.org HOSTS File which will not only block allot of malware, but naughty sites too.

Take a look at Windows Steady State. I looked at this yesterday and your problem was one of its "selling" points. It's free so you can give it a try in order to see if it does what you want.

Throw away computer. Lock kids in house. Just joking! :P

I have thought about that LMAO

I make them watch Law and Order SVU when they have a PC pedophile on there. I am very open with them about the evil scum. They are girl 12 who I warn hourly and son 7 who can change settings in a flash and leave me clueless LOL

I will check out what you all suggested.

Just to make you all laugh, I set up the TV to block out R rated stuff from the kids.... well my Dad came over and was yelling what the heck is going on here. So I go to see whats wrong, figure its a movie being blocked... it was the NEWS ROFL

TTFN

Lisa