Multiple Users- Vista

Gary Goldblum

Hi Folks-

Good product! Works good on my Vista laptop and my nephew's XP laptop, both single users w/guest turned off.

But- my sister's Vista desktop has multiple users (Admn + 3 Std). I read in an earlier thread regarding an XP PC to put an icon in each users desktop (Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop), but that Std users would have limited function.

Does this setup also apply to Vista?

Can it be "Run as Admn" (Rt click) for each user to get full function?

I'd like to clean up this computer and then delete all but the icon in the Admn to prevent "oopses".

I can put them back for the next cleaning. (After all, the PC is Admn + 3 teens).

Thanks

Hi Folks-

I guess you folks are busy. I'll wing-it and report back.

Sorry Gary,

I was hoping for a Vista user to come along and give you some Vista experienced advice.

What you suggest sounds OK to me.Of course you are going to be there to enter the password anyhow.

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck,

:) davey

:D Hi Folks- thanks for your replies.

C:\Users\Public\what th'!!

Oh...the old "Hidden Folder" trick!

Typed in \Desktop. No problem. Dragged the icon there, and all went OK. Dragged it back out when I finished-no problem! Much easier than doing C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner in each User- unless I get paid per mouseclick!

Things went pretty well. The Rt click "Run as Admn" didn't work, just ran the Admn User's area again. So the Std Users were run as is with the limited capability. I didn't see much difference, it worked OK.

I found a coupla wierd things: From the Admn user the UAC comes up, but the Std users go right to the program (No big deal); and I found a compatability problem report with v2.8 (after my task was finished)- don't know why and not worried about it. Done deal! Thanks again for the help.

:D Hi Folks- thanks for your replies.

Things went pretty well. The Rt click "Run as Admn" didn't work, just ran the Admn User's area again. So the Std Users were run as is with the limited capability. I didn't see much difference, it worked OK.

I found a coupla wierd things: From the Admn user the UAC comes up, but the Std users go right to the program (No big deal); and I found a compatability problem report with v2.8 (after my task was finished)- don't know why and not worried about it. Done deal! Thanks again for the help.

Hi again Gary,

Good to hear that you CCleaned your teenagers "closets".

Now we need your help and information.

Bug fixers info-CCleaner 2.08"

I thought that you may run into the Administrator vs Std users inconsistency.

For a few versions now I have been trying to gather more data for the "bug fixers" as regards this situation.

Thank you for being so observant and reporting this.

The info as regards Vista edition,version, and format is critical.Also the facts regarding admin vs std user functions.

The following info will help others to come up with a solution.

These answers help to evaluate the problem.Just fill in the answers next to or below the questions?

Provide a list of your CCleaner.ini file.( Tick option for Save settings to INI file at Options > Advanced then close CCleaner.This file will be created in C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder.)

Are you using a winapp2.ini file?

Answer "Yes" if you do and please explain its contents or provide a brief listing.Otherwise answer "No".

Are you running with Administrator privileges.

CCleaner version ?

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened?

Thanks,

The CCleaner Guide is your first source of information.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/ CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark it and save in your Favorites.

Thanks for taking your time to make a report.

Edited by davey

Hi again Gary,

Good to hear that you CCleaned your teenagers "closets".

Now we need your help and information.

Bug fixers info-CCleaner 2.08"

I thought that you may run into the Administrator vs Std users inconsistency.

For a few versions now I have been trying to gather more data for the "bug fixers" as regards this situation.

Thank you for being so observant and reporting this.

The info as regards Vista edition,version, and format is critical.Also the facts regarding admin vs std user functions.

The following info will help others to come up with a solution.

These answers help to evaluate the problem.Just fill in the answers next to or below the questions?

Provide a list of your CCleaner.ini file.( Tick option for Save settings to INI file at Options > Advanced then close CCleaner.This file will be created in C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder.) OK, here goes:

[Options]

Language=1033

Window_Left=410

Window_Top=119

Window_Width=978

Window_Height=541

Window_Max=0

UpdateCheck=0

BackupDir=C:\Users\Shelley\Documents

UpdateKey=05/06/2008 05:50:51 PM

(App)Old Prefetch data=False

(App)IIS Log Files=False

(App)Hotfix Uninstallers=False

(App)Menu Order Cache=False

(App)Tray Notifications Cache=False

(App)Window Size/Location Cache=False

(App)User Assist History=False

(App)Custom Folders=False

I should have (App)Taken a Keyboard Typing Class=TRUE!

Are you using a winapp2.ini file? No

Answer "Yes" if you do and please explain its contents or provide a brief listing.Otherwise answer "No".

Are you running with Administrator privileges. Yes

CCleaner version ? 2.08.588

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ? Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit, Directx V10.0 (?)

Browsers and ver.? IE7 as default (via AOL 9.0VR Dial-up), OE HP/Yahoo Home Page

Security software and ver? Norton IS 2008, both Windows Firewall and Defender OFF.

Other data you think might be relevant? Compaq SR5130NX Desktop, purch Sept 07

What did you do and then what happened? First, logged on all the users. Then cleaned with the OE tools (Disk Cleanup, IE Browsing History, Cookies, etc.). Then "moved" CCleaner sc icon from the Admn User's Desktop to "Desktop" at (C:\Users\Public\Desktop) to put an icon on every users desktop, verified OK.

CCleaned (incl Reg) Admn User. For Std User #1, I Rt clicked CC icon "Run as Admn", but it Ccleaned the Admn User again, not Std User #1! So, I did Lt click and Ccleaned (& Reg) Std User #1, then SU#2 and SU#3. Then at SU#3 I tried the Rt click "Run as Admn" again, but it Ccleaned the Admn User yet again! Then verified OK operation at each user. I then went through and moved the Reg backups to a floppy, which I'll hold for a week (yep, I cross-ref'd name to cc#) this will prevent "ooops" reg merging. Lastly, I went to the Public Desktop and moved the CC sc icon back to the Admn Users desktop (Std Users CC function didn't seem to be much less than the Admn Users, and the Reg thing worried me!)

Oddities:

I found it odd that the UAC permission came up at the Admn User but NOT the Std Users! It did come up at the Std Users when I did the Rt click "Run as Admn" and asked for a password, as it should. Just for laughs, I tried C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ instead of using the CC sc icon with the same results.

I got a "Program Compatability" Warning! Problem Event Name PCA2. It lists 2 Files to describe the problem: appcompt.txt and Tab706F.tmp. The app file starts off with <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?> and continues on about filters, checksums, versions, etc. etc. I'm lousy at screen-capture stuff, I wish I could fax it to ya!

CCleaner worked fine regardless- I can live with a coupla oddities!

Thanks,

The CCleaner Guide is your first source of information.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/ CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark it and save in your Favorites.

Davey- Sorry about the length- are you now sorry you asked? Take care.g.

Davey- Sorry about the length- are you now sorry you asked? Take care.g.

Thanks again, Gary.Here is a little reward for you.It's a link to something that will teach your about taking snap-shots and such.

It was a gift to me from DennisD.

Pass it on!!!

Read the whole thread and links.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=13668

Edited by davey