my icons disappear and I lose admin rights

It might not be CCleaner, but it started happening soon after CCleaner was installed and run. At first, upon booting everything seems fine. Over time, I discover that I can't save files (because I don't have adequate rights--but I'm logged in as admin), items disappear from menus (they aren't really gone--if I reboot, they're back) and directories, icons change to generic icons or disappear entirely. I've googled these problems and can't find any mention of it on the internet--apparently I am unique in the world.

Do you have any idea what might be doing this to my computer?

Welcome to Piriform gabbyhayes.

I've never heard of a problem like this. I would be nice to know which operating system, service packs you are using. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

It might not be CCleaner, but it started happening soon after CCleaner was installed and run. At first, upon booting everything seems fine. Over time, I discover that I can't save files (because I don't have adequate rights--but I'm logged in as admin), items disappear from menus (they aren't really gone--if I reboot, they're back) and directories, icons change to generic icons or disappear entirely. I've googled these problems and can't find any mention of it on the internet--apparently I am unique in the world.

Do you have any idea what might be doing this to my computer?

Hello gabbyhayes,

I'll help anybody with that handle.

Welcome to the forum!!!

First make sure you have any advanced options on the Windows tab turned off.Also any options related to shortcuts.

I don't think it has anything to do with CCleaner either.

Possibly if you did any Registry "cleaning".

Post back the following.Then run some some malware scans.

This is a excellent online scanner. http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

The following info will help others to possibly come up with a solution.

These answers help to evaluate the problem.Just fill in the answers next to the questions?

Provide a list of your CCleaner.ini file.( Tick option for Save settings to INI file at Options > Advanced then close CCleaner.This file will be created in C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder.)

Are you running with Administrator privileges.

CCleaner version ?

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened?

Thanks,

:) davey

Don't forget a new update to the CCleaner Guide came out Feb. 06,2008.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1504 Bookmark it and save in your Favorites.

Thanks for taking your time to make a report.

Yes,we are all unique !!!

Edited by davey

It's XP

I assume it's up to date--my updates are automatic. I almost typed "service pack 2," but honestly, I don't even know where to find that information.

Over the past 24 hours, it has become more stable and I haven't lost anything. I think I overdid my cleanup of temp files and might have removed some file that set preferences, but so far, everything appears to be intact. I keep getting an email from someone claiming there is an ebay payment dispute. I just delete these normally, but yesterday, I wanted to see what the complaint was, so I opened one and immediately got a virus bulletin that the page I was trying to load had some malware in it. I may have accidentally allowed some third party into my trusted zone--I froze them out and appear to be functioning normally. So I apologize for suspecting CCleaner--you always suspect the last thing you loaded, but in fact, I loaded CCleaner because I was having problems I couldn't account for. CCleaner probably clearned up the mess and here I was blaming it.

Apologies. If I experience the problem again, I will fill you in on as many of the details you've requested as I can find.

It's XP

I assume it's up to date--my updates are automatic. I almost typed "service pack 2," but honestly, I don't even know where to find that information.

Over the past 24 hours, it has become more stable and I haven't lost anything. I think I overdid my cleanup of temp files and might have removed some file that set preferences, but so far, everything appears to be intact. I keep getting an email from someone claiming there is an ebay payment dispute. I just delete these normally, but yesterday, I wanted to see what the complaint was, so I opened one and immediately got a virus bulletin that the page I was trying to load had some malware in it. I may have accidentally allowed some third party into my trusted zone--I froze them out and appear to be functioning normally. So I apologize for suspecting CCleaner--you always suspect the last thing you loaded, but in fact, I loaded CCleaner because I was having problems I couldn't account for. CCleaner probably clearned up the mess and here I was blaming it.

Apologies. If I experience the problem again, I will fill you in on as many of the details you've requested as I can find.

OK !!! Gabby,no apologies needed.

Dear old Gabby Hayes.

He was an old friend of mine in my early youth.Now I look like him.May be the same for you.

Glad you caught that varmint,too.Those bandits have some mighty tricky things up their sleeves.

You can find very basic info by starting CCleaner and looking in that box at the top.It is called the banner.Click on X to exit.

Then left click on Start.Right click on My Computer.Left click on Properties.You are now viewing your System Properties.Read all that nice info.Then click on the buttons and tabs and have a fun time.

Don't change anything OK!!!

Y'all come back anytime .Ya hear.

There are two sites that I use to verify that my system is up to date:

Belarc Advisor

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html <== gives lots of useful system information as well

Secunia: Online Software Inspector

http://secunia.com/software_inspector

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

OK !!! Gabby,no apologies needed.

Dear old Gabby Hayes.

He was an old friend of mine in my early youth.Now I look like him.May be the same for you.

Glad you caught that varmint,too.Those bandits have some mighty tricky things up their sleeves.

You can find very basic info by starting CCleaner and looking in that box at the top.It is called the banner.Click on X to exit.

Then left click on Start.Right click on My Computer.Left click on Properties.You are now viewing your System Properties.Read all that nice info.Then click on the buttons and tabs and have a fun time.

Don't change anything OK!!!

Y'all come back anytime .Ya hear.

y'all are too nice, carnsarn it. thanks agin.