unicows.dll not found

Hello,

I am French and my English is a bit weak. I'm sorry.

I would like to install CCleaner under Windows 98 (and very old computer). While installation no problem. But when I run the soft UNICOWS.DLL is not found. Unicows.dll is pr?sent in c:\programmes files\CCleaner\. I copy it in C:\windows, c:\windows\system and in c:\windows\system32 and CCleaner.exe don't find unicows.dll. Where does unicows.dll must be to be found ?

Friendly Laurent

Welcome to Piriforum Laurent.

I would like to install CCleaner under Windows 98 (and very old computer). While installation no problem. But when I run the soft UNICOWS.DLL is not found. Unicows.dll is pr?sent in c:\programmes files\CCleaner\. I copy it in C:\windows, c:\windows\system and in c:\windows\system32 and CCleaner.exe don't find unicows.dll. Where does unicows.dll must be to be found ?

I think the last two versions of CCleaner need Unicows.dll. When you install it, as you say it puts Unicows.dll in the CCleaner folder. You can put a copy in your Windows\System folder if you want to. But if no other app needs to use it then why bother. You don't have to register Unicows.dll.

I use Win98SE and its always worked perfectly for me. Try an uninstall then reinstall CCleaner. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriforum Laurent.

I think the last two versions of CCleaner need Unicows.dll. When you install it, as you say it puts Unicows.dll in the CCleaner folder. You can put a copy in your Windows\System folder if you want to. But if no other app needs to use it then why bother. You don't have to register Unicows.dll.

I use Win98SE and its always worked perfectly for me. Try an uninstall then reinstall CCleaner. ;)

Hello Keithuk,

Thanks for your answer and for your "Welcome".

Of course, I can put a copy of Unicows.dll in all my folders. I agree it is a mistake if only CCleaner need it in his own folder. I did that only to help CCleaner finding unicows.dll.

I will try a "uninstall then reinstall" like you wrote. May be I have installed CCleaner from a folder of my home network and CCleaner "don't like".

My W98 is not SE (and the computer before pentium (I collect old PC. the older is a 8088 with a Hard Disk on a file card))

Friendly Laurent

I will try a "uninstall then reinstall" like you wrote. May be I have installed CCleaner from a folder of my home network and CCleaner "don't like".

My W98 is not SE (and the computer before pentium (I collect old PC. the older is a 8088 with a Hard Disk on a file card))

You can install CCleaner to any folder you want too. The default folder is Program Files\CCleaner.

Win98, have you thought of getting Win98SE? I would do a search on eBay they are quite cheap on there. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

You can install CCleaner to any folder you want too. The default folder is Program Files\CCleaner.

Win98, have you thought of getting Win98SE? I would do a search on eBay they are quite cheap on there. ;)

Hello,

After an "uninstall then reinstall", the errors reporting is "The Microsoft Layer for unicode was not found . unicows.dll".

Sorry for CCleaner, I think it will go to trask.

To have a W98 is a part of my collection of PC. Some of mine are on W3.0, W3.1, W3.11 or simply on DOS 3.0 or higher.

When I download CCleaner (2.6.0.557) from a site "for downloading", it was written: "CCleaner work on W9x". http://www.01net.com/telecharger/windows/U...ches/32599.html

W9x mean also W95... If it work on 95, 98 too, I have thought.

I don't see the possibilty to mark posts "problem resoled" or some think like that.

Thanks for these replies.

Friendly Laurent

Do you have parts for a Ford Model T :blink:

I bet they would fetch a fortune on eBay.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Hello,

Sorry for CCleaner, I think it will go to trask.

To have a W98 is a part of my collection of PC. Some of mine are on W3.0, W3.1, W3.11 or simply on DOS 3.0 or higher.

When I download CCleaner (2.6.0.557) from a site "for downloading", it was written: "CCleaner work on W9x". http://www.01net.com/telecharger/windows/U...ches/32599.html

W9x mean also W95... If it work on 95, 98 too, I have thought.

Friendly Laurent

Hi Laurent,

What operating systems does CCleaner work with?Fully tried and tested with Windows 98/NT4/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista.

It's currently partially compatible with 64bit XP and Vista, there are a few non-critical issues which are still being worked on.

There are no Mac or Linux versions.

You apparently don't have the necessary software to use CCleaner in non-English language.

Go to OPTIONS > SETTINGS > language and select English .

You should now be able to run CCleaner.You may have to down load and select English when you install.

Download from this link. http://www.CCleaner.com Free

The CCleaner Guide is at this link. http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

Good Luck,

:) davey