Giveaway of the Day: StarBurn

Tom AZ

• Moderators

Thanks for the heads up Tom. Strange that it comes out a couple of days after Burnaware.

Tried it and didn't like it at all. An ugly looking, cluttered interface, with buttons that appear to do just about anything you would wish to do with Audio/Video.

Tried the DVD Decrypter wizard, which decrypted (for backup purposes) an original DVD in about 20 minutes. The ensuing .iso file was seemingly in its own format as it wasn't recognized by Shrink 3.2.

There's an option to convert this 7Gb .iso into something a third party application would recognize, but who the hell wants to do that.

Enough for me. IMHO, the standalone apps I already have do things quicker and better. Definitely not a keeper for me.

• Moderators
IMHO, the standalone apps I already have do things quicker and better. Definitely not a keeper for me.

That's what I was thinking the last time they had it as a give away. Those standalone free alternatives are a tough cookie to beat, especially with them creating valid DVD ISO image files.

From your comments, Dennis -- and now those of Andavari, I guess there's no need to bother with this app -- regardless of its lofty price tag :blink: . I installed it (just to have), but haven't even looked at it.

I also downloaded and installed BurnAware Home Edition when it was available. Everyone still satisfied with that one?

• Moderators
I also downloaded and installed BurnAware Home Edition when it was available. Everyone still satisfied with that one?

I liked it and all with its slick looking GUI and instant loading. However it would periodically display an error dialog that had to be clicked to go away about "not being able to focus a window" or something similar to that and I had no idea what it was referring to and didn't want to chance that error being something critical and causing problems, so I went right back to ImgBurn.

• Moderators
From your comments, Dennis -- and now those of Andavari, I guess there's no need to bother with this app -- regardless of its lofty price tag

When I tried it before on two separate occasions both the Giveaway version and the free version the GUI just didn't appeal to me. With that said, it does have a ton of features.

• Moderators

I've still got it, I've used it once, but to be honest I've got other apps that do things just as well.

It's a good piece of software, and it's always tempting to install and keep a good, free program, when in reality, you don't really need it.

Truth be told, there's probably quite a few applications on my pc I could easily do without.

If I could only get past the "it might come in handy" mind set. ;)

I've still got it, I've used it once, but to be honest I've got other apps that do things just as well.

It's a good piece of software, and it's always tempting to install and keep a good, free program, when in reality, you don't really need it.

Truth be told, there's probably quite a few applications on my pc I could easily do without.

If I could only get past the "it might come in handy" mind set. ;)

Ya know, Dennis, that's me -- exactly. I really have everything I need, but curiosity gets the best of me -- and then the thinking turns to . . . just maybe some day??? :rolleyes:.