safari file downloading

rridgely

• Moderators

Hmm... I decided to play with safari a little more.

I noticed that on this desktop I hadn't installed the newest version of spyware blaster so I headed over to filehippo (using safari) to download it and noticed that once I clicked download safari didn't prompt me to ok the download. It just automatically put it on my desktop!

Anyone else see a problem with this? I hope so.

I dont even see anywhere in the browser to change this.

• Moderators

Hmm, not many Safari users, but I gave it a run for you. The default theme is really depressing, but the info you want..... I got the same thing with downloading.

The only option you have is to set the download location first in "Settings". I suppose once you decide where you want files downloaded to, then do you need a box to say "are you sure?"

Seems a backwards way of doing things compared to selecting download and then deciding where to download to, if you see what I mean.

• Moderators

The real problem with this is the security concerns that go along with it automatically downloading things. I guess they forgot that unlike OSX users, Windows users cant necissarilly trust every file they come across.(for instance what if you open a spam email that has a link in it that says it goes to some other site but in reality its a download link for a spyware infected .exe file? Sure they would still have to run it but the browser shouldn't be downloading it anyway!)

• Moderators
The default theme is really depressing

Depressing hits the nail right on the head! From the screenshots I've seen that was my main reason for never trying it, it looks horrible to me - just like iTunes.