Upgrading From Version 1 to Version 2

sparkyspark

Hello, do you need to uninstall the previous Version 1 of CCleaner before installing the new updated Version 2 or can you just run the new Version 2 on top of the old Version 1 without any problems, if uninstalling of V1 is required are there any special backups or procedures required to carry over to Version 2 ?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, do you need to uninstall the previous Version 1 of CCleaner before installing the new updated Version 2 or can you just run the new Version 2 on top of the old Version 1 without any problems, if uninstalling of V1 is required are there any special backups or procedures required to carry over to Version 2 ?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Sparky,

Most users I know of just download the new version with no problems.You might copy your winapp2.ini file if you use one and it has special mods.Also the CCleaner.ini file if you want to save all your settings.Better safe than sorry.

Otherwise , no problems.Don't be surprised if the download wants to load some new software from MS.Once downloaded,I would recommend an immediate reboot to avoid some problems.

Good Luck,

:) davey

Don't forget a new update to the CCleaner Guide came out Feb. 06,2008.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1504

Hello Sparky,

Most users I know of just download the new version with no problems.You might copy your winapp2.ini file if you use one and it has special mods.Also the CCleaner.ini file if you want to save all your settings.Better safe than sorry.

Otherwise , no problems.Don't be surprised if the download wants to load some new software from MS.Once downloaded,I would recommend an immediate reboot to avoid some problems.

Good Luck,

Don't forget a new update to the CCleaner Guide came out Feb. 06,2008.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1504

Thanks for the reply davey, but I'm a bit of a novice user and don't really understand all these folder options, is it OK just to overinstal as you suggested without saving any settings at all, or just completely uninstall and start anew.

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for the reply davey, but I'm a bit of a novice user and don't really understand all these folder options, is it OK just to overinstal as you suggested without saving any settings at all, or just completely uninstall and start anew.

Thanks for your patience.

OK Download over the old.Reboot.

Start CClean . Click Options and review all settings.At Options > Advanced Check Save all settings to INI file.

Now review your Guide and set your settings.

Run CCleaner.

Don't get nervous about those new files,I am sure they are for some new advanced features.Most users don't know anything about those files or any of the old files for that matter.

Many Thanks for all your help davey, will do as you suggest tommorrow as it's a little late here in the UK, googled about these files and found a little more info about them and even a few of your posts in this forum, so I understand them a little better now.

Kind Regards. :)

OK Download over the old.

davey,

I would agree with you if sparkyspark was upgrading 2.x versions but there was a significant design change from 1.x to 2.x.

I would uninstall 1.x first. I found that installing 2.x over 1.x left behind unnecessary (but harmless) files.

EDIT: I just read the announcement for 2.06 ... it'll be interesting to see if installing it over 2.05 will delete the now unnecessary winapp.ini.

• Moderators
EDIT: I just read the announcement for 2.06 ... it'll be interesting to see if installing it over 2.05 will delete the now unnecessary winapp.ini.

Nope it doesn't. As for version 2.0x it really isn't worth uninstalling because that one left over "winapp.ini" can be removed rather easily.

Actually it would be nice if the settings such as CCleaner.ini were stored in the Application Data folder so that even if uninstalling CCleaner to do a clean install the settings would remain intact.

Actually it would be nice if the settings such as CCleaner.ini were stored in the Application Data folder so that even if uninstalling CCleaner to do a clean install the settings would remain intact.

That is a great idea for the CCleaner.ini file !!! I hope they do that.

I also keep a copy of winapp.ini so I can remember what was in there.