Do you want to store to a different drive? Please explain

Guest dave09

Guest dave09

Hi there,

I was recommended to your site, can you please explain what the above means, as im new to this program.

Edit: As my files were deleted without my consent from Program Files, when i was uninstalling an app. that was corrupt & needed to reinstall it & when i was uninstalling it, it seemed to be going thru a lot of programs in Prog. Files for some reason unknown to me.

So i'll have a lot of restoring to do, and some i probably wont recognise? as i've seen a lot of green marks, but i assume the red marks/spots mean something bad?

& as its mentioned here:

Restoring the files

You can select the files you want to recover using the tick boxes, or the right click options. If possible, restore the files to a different drive, this increases the chance of a successful recovery.

The C: drive is the only one i have as far as i know,

Thanks for listening & for any advice heeded in this matter.

PS. It mentions that you should not be browsing while running the app. but what if you dont know that & lookin for info on this, as that's what happened to me when i started the app.

It looks like i've a lot to learn :(

Edited by dave09

• Moderators

To ensure that you have the best chance of recovering deleted files you should stop all activity on the disk, and on your pc if that is what it means, immediately. In other words leave your pc booted up and either use another pc or a friend's pc to initiate the recovery process.

Every time you boot up your pc, or open your browser, or email, or post to this site, or touch anything on your pc you are writing files, temporary or otherwise, to your hard drive. These files will be written in the most effective place on your hard drive to allow fast write and retrieval. They will be put in free space on top of whatever deleted files were there before. The more activity there is on this drive the more likely that files you want to be recovered will be overwritten. Overwritten files cannot be recovered. This is the reason why Recuva asks if you want to recover to the same drive. It's bad practice.

On another pc download and install Recuva to a usb device. Plug the usb into your problem pc. Run Recuva and recover what files you want to the usb. Continue until you have all the files you want or can find. Then you can start reloading them to your problem pc.

The condition of the deleted files, excellent, poor etc is an attempt by Recuva to classify the file and is not necessarily that accurate. If you look at the file info and it says that this file has been overwritten then it's highly unlikely that you will get anything back from it. If it doesn't say that then there's an excellent chance of recovery.

Good luck!

Guest dave09

Thanks for your reply, but i thought i set up for an instant reply, so im only coming to this now, as it says this below:

You are currently receiving email notification of replies

So Recuva will probably come up with different results now? as i was trying to find out what happened here, like what would delete all your programs without your consent, as it'll take a while to find another pc/laptop to download Recuva & the usb/mem. stick will have to hold a lot as before there was 10GB now i have 58GB FREE space!

Someone had mentioned Windows Restore earlier on at an Irish forum i frequent at.

Is that an option, as i had to download AVG as that was wiped as well, but there were no virus at risk when scanned.

Thanks for your time & patience.

• Moderators

If a usb isn't large enough then a usb attached hard drive will do, or you can keep swapping the flash drive and copying data to your backup pc.

I don't think you have a cat in hell's chance of recovering 48gb of usable data. You may be lucky with some folders, but don't put money on it.

I have never used Windows System Restore, so can't really advise. I don't think it restores data files but you may be lucky with the program files folder. I'm sure someone here will know about it.

Rgds.

Hi there,

I was recommended to your site, can you please explain what the above means, as im new to this program.

Edit: As my files were deleted without my consent from Program Files, when i was uninstalling an app. that was corrupt & needed to reinstall it & when i was uninstalling it, it seemed to be going thru a lot of programs in Prog. Files for some reason unknown to me.

So i'll have a lot of restoring to do, and some i probably wont recognise? as i've seen a lot of green marks, but i assume the red marks/spots mean something bad?

& as its mentioned here:

The C: drive is the only one i have as far as i know,

Thanks for listening & for any advice heeded in this matter.

PS. It mentions that you should not be browsing while running the app. but what if you dont know that & lookin for info on this, as that's what happened to me when i started the app.

It looks like i've a lot to learn :(

Hello dave09,

Welcome to the forum.

Too bad it is under such unfortunate circumstances.

It is nice to know that our forum is being recommended.

When it comes to recovering data,every user has a lot to learn.

The advice Augeas has been giving you is very valuable to save as much of your data as possible.

These links are important as to Recuva.

Edit 03/14/2008 Corrected links

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14299 MrRon info about Recuva.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=8563 Recuva Guide

If you can use a friends computer,please do so.

Now down to your situation.

You apparently have an operable OS, so I would advise NOT doing a System Restore until you Recover as much lost data as possible.Your OS "may" be just fine.

Do you have any backups of this data? It is very hard to recover deleted files completely.Sure it can be done but you may have more than you can handle.

Is this data very valuable to you? Professional recovery is expensive but may be more succesful than your efforts.This may be a learning opportunity for you and your friends,try Recuva and get as much as you can.

It may be better to leave things as they are and rebuild from there.It is all up to you.

I would make backups of what files are valuable and still available to be copied.Your OS itself "may" be corrupted, that is why you want to backup what you can now.Copy what you can from your hard drive to another drive or computer.

It is unusual for uninstalls to do what happened to you.

What uninstall method were you using?

Just some advice for the future, try to copy and if needs be delete the "corrupted" file first and work from there before you decide to uninstall the complete application.

Some apps leave some things behind,good ones don't.Sometimes strange situations occur and there is no way of avoiding them.

Just the simple act of backing up your data even on the same drive at least leaves you with recent data still available to rebuild from in such a situation.

Just remember to copy what you can before trying to do any further system maintenance tasks.

Good Luck,

:) davey

Edited by davey

Guest dave09
Hello dave09,

Welcome to the forum.

Too bad it is under such unfortunate circumstances.

It is nice to know that our forum is being recommended.

When it comes to recovering data,every user has a lot to learn.

The advice Augeas has been giving you is very valuable to save as much of your data as possible.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14299 Recuva Guide

If you can use a friends computer,please do so.

Now down to your situation.

You apparently have an operable OS, so I would advise NOT doing a System Restore until you Recover as much lost data as possible.Your OS "may" be just fine.

Do you have any backups of this data? It is very hard to recover deleted files completely.Sure it can be done but you may have more than you can handle.

I would make backups of what files are valuable and still available to be copied.Your OS itself "may" be corrupted, that is why you want to backup what you can now.Copy what you can from your hard drive to another drive or computer.

Just some advice for the future, try to copy and if needs be delete the "corrupted" file first and work from there before you decide to uninstall the complete application.

Some apps leave some things behind,good ones don't.Sometimes strange situations occur and there is no way of avoiding them.

Just the simple act of backing up your data even on the same drive at least leaves you with recent data still available to rebuild from in such a situation.

Just remember to copy what you can before trying to do any further system maintenance tasks.

Good Luck,

Thank you's for your time & consideration in this matter.

These links are important as to Recuva.

MrRon info about Recuva.

That link doesnt work no matter,

Is this data very valuable to you? Professional recovery is expensive but may be more succesful than your efforts.This may be a learning opportunity for you and your friends,try Recuva and get as much as you can.

It may be better to leave things as they are and rebuild from there.It is all up to you.

At the moment, i'm at a local library usin the pc, but it is miles away.

The data at the moment is programs & a few application in Program Files like Nero, HP as some can be installed again, some were preinstalled like XP & i had to install AVG again as it left a blank on some of the app's i used. Also there were videos that are replaceable & some not, but thank god it wasnt My Documents.

Ironically i was going to take them off the videos & burn them to disc.

It is unusual for uninstalls to do what happened to you.

What uninstall method were you using?

I was recommended to use AutoGK, as it was able to burn Xvid files i had in a shortcut folder (Divx movies) in Program files & when i went to click on Auto GK, it showed that it was corrupt, i tried to uninstall it, but stalled & whatever happened it seemed to run rogue so i used Task Manager & just reinstalled over it, but it was too late.

After installing AVG i ran a virus check,but it found nothing.

I've consulted an expert as well, but he's to get baack to me, if my brother cant help out.

Time is limited, i will try & log on later if i can.

I'll print out these pages for refernce for anyone.

Irish eyes certainly werent smilin this week,

Until later.

Hi again Dave,

You gotta lot of Irish grit going for you.Of course brothers help too.

I know there are others here who have been through similar problems.

Maybe they can provide you with some suggested recovery steps to take.

Anyhow,here are the corrected links.Some how they got "corrupted" during a spell check process.

I think I need some updates also or a different spell checker.

Now I'm going to be a little more nervous and aware when I decide to uninstall an app. that says it is "corrupted".Maybe we can get some comments on that as well.I know there is a good lesson to be learned from this but fortunately it has not happened to me,so I can't provide the lesson.

Edit 03/14/2008 Corrected links

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14299 MrRon info about Recuva.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=8563 Recuva Guide

There are also some video Experts that may be able to tell you how to Burn some copies of your files and videos etc. to reload later.

Edited by davey