Filename Changed by Recuva - 1st time user

hrpskyrunner

Why did Recuva change the names of the files that I needed to recover?

I found the files that were deleted under new file names of, Dg2.txt, Dg1.doc, Dg2.doc, and Dg1.jpg in the Recuva Filename column. Not knowing what they were I recovered them and when I opened them I found that they were the files I wanted. Even with this, I would highly recommend this software! I have used other in the past and none ran as fast or was as easy to use.

Welcome to Piriform hrpskyrunner.

I've never known Recuva rename files. Every file I've recovered uses the same filename. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Why did Recuva change the names of the files that I needed to recover?

I found the files that were deleted under new file names of, Dg2.txt, Dg1.doc, Dg2.doc, and Dg1.jpg in the Recuva Filename column. Not knowing what they were I recovered them and when I opened them I found that they were the files I wanted. Even with this, I would highly recommend this software! I have used other in the past and none ran as fast or was as easy to use.

Hello hrpskyrunner.

Read and bookmark this link.The mystery of your filenames will be resolved.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=95389

Glad you Recva'd your files before they were overwritten.They must not have been very "new" files.

Some users are not as lucky as you were.

I always maintain full control of my Recycle Bin.

If you are CCleaning it,then you may forget what's in there and before you get a chance to review it,it's gone.

This may not apply in your situation but it may help others.

Good Luck,

:) davey

Hello hrpskyrunner.

Read and bookmark this link.The mystery of your filenames will be resolved.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=95389

Glad you Recva'd your files before they were overwritten.They must not have been very "new" files.

Some users are not as lucky as you were.

I always maintain full control of my Recycle Bin.

If you are CCleaning it,then you may forget what's in there and before you get a chance to review it,it's gone.

This may not apply in your situation but it may help others.

Good Luck,

:) davey

Thanks for the link Davey!

I now know why the files were renamed. As you knew, it is no fault of Recuva, GREAT software.

Just an FYI, I wrote a script to do all my PC housekeeping(backups, deletes, defrags) and then shutdown my PC. In it I run CLEANMGR that is set to empty my recycle bin. Now that I know about files being renamed after being moved to the recycle bin, I have no problems leaving it this way. The files were deleted off of a backup hard drive that I update monthly so it had not be written on after the files were deleted.