What Would Cause This......

SkeeterBeeter

Installed Firefox and Thunderbird.

Everytime I shutdown my computer , and reboot I cannot load either one of them...

The files are still in Explorer and desktop...... <_<

DjLizard , RRidgely or Tarun can you help????

What do you mean you can't run them? Do you get an error message?

Can you do Start, Run..., Firefox?

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

First time this computer's ever had Firefox?

Try Start, Run...

firefox.exe -p

also try Start, Run...

firefox.exe -safe-mode

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

First time this computer's ever had Firefox?

Try Start, Run...

firefox.exe -p

also try Start, Run...

firefox.exe -safe-mode

No , not 1st time firefox on computer.

The run commands did not work -no error message or nothing....

Something must be keeping firefox from loading at start or keeping it in the background DEEP hidden when start up.

Also , when I install firefox and thunderbird again , it installs OK but when I shut down and reboot either program executes.......

Obviously the preloader isn't going to do anything ... the preloader just loads firefox.exe and hides the window (using Win32 API magick) -- it's going to have the same effect - none.

Prepare to lose your profile.

Go find your profile (Start, Run... Application Data, hit OK) - browse to Mozilla>Firefox>Profiles>[whatever].default, and get your bookmarks.html file and copy it somewhere (if they're important to you). You can also copy cookies.txt if you wish. I wouldn't copy much else.

Uninstall Firefox the official way (add/remove programs).

Search your hard drive for the word 'mozilla', and delete everything you find. Do the same for the word 'firefox', and 'phoenix', just in case you used to use a really old build. Trash everything you can find.

Use CCleaner's issues tab repeatedly, until nothing else shows up, just in case there's anything lingering.

Restart the computer.

Reinstall Firefox.

If FF now works, go back to Application Data, etc, etc, and copy your cookies and bookmarks back into your new profile, if necessary.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Obviously the preloader isn't going to do anything ... the preloader just loads firefox.exe and hides the window (using Win32 API magick) -- it's going to have the same effect - none.

Prepare to lose your profile.

Go find your profile (Start, Run... Application Data, hit OK) - browse to Mozilla>Firefox>Profiles>[whatever].default, and get your bookmarks.html file and copy it somewhere (if they're important to you).  You can also copy cookies.txt if you wish.  I wouldn't copy much else.

Uninstall Firefox the official way (add/remove programs).

Search your hard drive for the word 'mozilla', and delete everything you find.  Do the same for the word 'firefox', and 'phoenix', just in case you used to use a really old build.  Trash everything you can find.

Use CCleaner's issues tab repeatedly, until nothing else shows up, just in case there's anything lingering.

Restart the computer.

Reinstall Firefox.

If FF now works, go back to Application Data, etc, etc, and copy your cookies and bookmarks back into your new profile, if necessary.

OK , what does saving the profile do anyway? Can I just trash everything related to firefox and thunderbird and do a new download and new install ..Wouldn't this give me new profiles in firefox and wouldn't this be the same as you suggested? Dunno.. <_<

Edited...Ok , now that I thought about this a little more i will trash everything and reinstall .

Then reboot the system .There might have been a malware or something when I executed the install but the system is clean now and I'll try this in the morning.

Well I know you use 98SE at home, and I think you also have NT 4.0 as well.

Si' Muy Bien !!! (yes very good in spanish).The NT4.0 is a workstation at work (the only one with Win NT btw) The 98SE is at home.......the problem is with the NT.

Funny , the IE and OE works OK on the NT ?

• Moderators

firefox preloader keeps FF loaded in the memory, same things as the mozilla quick start or netscape quick start. I figured it might help FF load up, but DJ says no. Oh well It cant hurt though (It makes FF start up a lot faster too).

Oh jesus; NT 4.0? I'm soooo sorry.

/me sheds a single, solemn tear for you.

This sounds like the help I would get from Eldmannen...LOL.. :lol:

Yea, last of the dinasaurs. I figure in 5 years I can sell on E-Bay, the NT 4.0, as a classic and make a killing... :lol:

Anywho..this workstation is somewhat dedicated and I have been trying to update it with whatever I can to improve usability , speed , and processing.

Our other connected , via ethernet network , computers are upgraded to Win XP SP2 and one is still operating on Win 2000. We do a lot of graphic engineering type Solid Works ,cad/cam and xsfer of machinining code to high production and prototype machining work.

Got rid of the old firefox and thunderbird exe. and downloaded new.

Installed new firefox & thunderbird exe. rebooted and firefox loaded just fine.....

Changed the connection settings to auto-detect proxy settings for this connection and I think this is what did it...

DO NOT COMPARE ME TO ELDMANNEN IN ANY WAY! *angry stare*

No but seriously... NT 4.0 is satan's operating system. I work with it occasionally here and it's junk.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips