Need help with software exe command removal

Ed M

My daughter gave me her old computer that she used while attending college. An anti-virus program was installed by her school's network administrators that we no longer can use. The Windows "add or remove program" routine was of no use, so I tried to remove program files and the software icon that appears in the Windows system tray manually. I foolishly went on a "search and destroy" mission using Windows Explorer and deleted anything I could find that had to do with the program, but a lot of files used by this program remain buried deep inside other folders and cannot be removed because these files are in use whenever I re-boot the computer and I get an error message that warns, "You can't delete this file because it is in use bla bla bla ,etc."

So, as a result of my botched attempt to remove this software, the little icom sits in my system tray and laughs at me.

But THEN . . .

I downloaded and began to use CCleaner and found a line in the startup commands that prompts this blasted program to run. I have a little experience with another registry cleaner program that allowed you to either enable or disable a command line in case this line is crucial to the system start up.

I highlighted this command line and with my finger hovering over the "enter" key, I pondered what disasters may lie in wait if I do the deed!

I would love to delete this command line but I am afraid that I will render my computer useless the next time I restart it.

If I hit that delete key, will I be prompted to save my present configuration, or will I doom my computer to run forever (like that bus in the movie "Speed") ?

Is there a safer way to disable this command line, or better yet, will removing the command line cause no harm?

If you are certain this line in startup relates to the program you are trying to remove then go ahead and stop it, it will simply stop it running at startup. Also make a note of where the exe that it relates to is located so you can go and clean up where it is located (though I'm guessing you probably know that already).

Let us know how you get on and if you need any more help ;)

Hello Ed M,

Welcome to the forum.A great forum.

What is the name and version of that anti-virus software.

Someone here in the forum can probably supply you with advice on how to get rid of it.

Many users,many problems and many experienced solutions.

Good Luck,

:) davey

Thanks, Davey for the prompt reply!

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on the affected PC. The software program that I want to completely remove is named McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Agent Version 3.0. If I had Googled "How to remove ePolicy Orchestrator Agent" I would have been given a command to copy into my "run" command prompt and my problems would have been solved. but NO!! I tried to remove this program by deleting all the files associated with this program that I could find. Not a good thing to do as now, when I type in the remove command, I get an error message stating that the removal file cannot be found or is already in use. The vestigial remains of this program is a little icon in the Task Bar as well as many files in folders layered in my documents folder all showing an installation date when the comuter was connected to the school's network.

There is an execute command in my startup batch file that launches the program.

What will happen if I use CCleaner's "Delete" command?

Will I be given an option to save my existing start up file, or will this line be permanently deleted?

Hi Ed M,

When you use Tools > Startup then select (left click once to High-light) the program you want to delete then click "Delete" that one entry will be gone.The other entries will be OK.

Now, if there is still some imbedded McAfee software it may "recreate" the entry at next Reboot.

Many security programs do this to keep malicious persons or software at bay.

You may still be able to get a copy of that Uninstall software online.Most likely from McAfee.

If you can't get it there you might try your computer manufacturer.

Just avoid any sites that offer to cure your McAfee "problems".

There are security Experts right here on the forum.

You will probably be hearing from them.

For now chill out and enjoy you computer.

Link here and enjoy some very beneficial reading.Click on the other buttons there also.

http://internetrotsyourbrain.com/rridgely/freesoftware.htm

:) davey

There is an execute command in my startup batch file that launches the program.

What will happen if I use CCleaner's "Delete" command?

Will I be given an option to save my existing start up file, or will this line be permanently deleted?

Batch file? Now I'm confused (I'll ignore that for now in case you mixed up techy terms, though if you do have some special batch file arrangement running at startup do explain).

Anyway, if it's just a normal startup I have already answered above (you seem to have missed it, second post). But if you want an easily reversible option go to Start>Run type msconfig and click ok. When the system config utility opens go to the startup tab and you can simplly untick the entry there and if it causes a problem (ie it's the wrong one) repeat the procedure and retick it. You will need to restart after this and the item should not be running when retstarted (note you will get a box popup when it does retstart telling you you've made a change in the config utility, just tick the box not to show again and click ok)

"Batch file? Now I'm confused (I'll ignore that for now in case you mixed up techy terms)" JD Power.

Well, Ok, maybe I was trying to sound more techno-savvy than I really am :rolleyes: Let's say "start-up command lines"

I googled "McAfee software removal tool" and was directed to their website where I was able to download a program that either removed or disabled the ePolicy software. (Deleting the start command line made the icon go away for a little while, but like a wart, it "grew back" overnight!)

With the program heavily sedated, I was able to locate and delete ALL of the program files that were installed by the college. They were easy to find because they all had the same install time right down to the second)

Good bye (and good riddance) ePolicy! :D Flushed right down the ole' Cyber-toilet.

Thanks, everyone for the help and accurate advice.

Jd and Davey, You get an "A"!!

Good bye (and good riddance) ePolicy! :D Flushed right down the ole' Cyber-toilet.

Thanks, everyone for the help and accurate advice.

Glad you finally got it sorted. And don't worry about not sounding tech savvy, we all had to start somewhere ;)