New user - what to do please

jenbenred

Hi there, just found this site and run the Recuva tool. It has found hundreds of items which have been deleted. A lot of them say that they have been re-written but there are some which say they can be recovered. I am a novice p.c. user and now I have run this tool I do not know what I am supposed to do with the information which it gives to me. Most of the things that it lists I do not understand or know what they are. Should I recover the ones that it says are "good" to recover or just ignore everything. I really do not know what to do when the list of deleted items is shown as it means nothing to me and I do not want to harm my p.c. by putting back on it things which I do not know what they are. I am sorry to be so stupid when it comes to Recova but I am now to computing and do not want to do any harm to my computer. Thanks for your help. Cheers

• Moderators

I can only think of two reasons why you should 'do' something after running Recuva. The first is that you inadvertently deleted a file and you wish to recover it, and the second is that a file containing sensitive data has been deleted and Recuva shows it as being recoverable.

In the first case, try to recover the file as soon as possible, as it will, sooner or later, be overwritten when another new file is created. In the second case you can do very little, but this file too will eventually be overwritten with a new file (so just keep your eye on it).

If you wish to do neither of these things then you have to do nothing at all after running Recuva. Files do get created and deleted every time you use your PC. It's normal. Recuva just lets the curious look at them.

Rgds.