System Protect

LUSHER

"We are proud to announce the release of our brand new security product

System Protect.

Information about the product can be found at here

Have you ever been infected by viruses or malware and had to go through

an arduous process of restoring critical system files?

Have you ever used an antispyware program which has falsely identified

and deleted Internet Explorer favorites or important programs?

Have you ever used hard drive cleaning applications only to find that

important documents, pictures or other desired files have been deleted?

Do you share a computer with children and worry that they will delete

important documents or system files? Do you worry that you might do the

same?

If you have ever asked any of these questions, then System Protect is

for you. Right out of the box, System Protect will actively protect the

integrity of critical system files. With a few extra settings, you can

also use it to protect important documents, pictures, music, favorites,

and any other file you never want to lose! It provides the protection

which no other security program can provide, for FREE!

Currently System Protect is in beta stages and we'd appreciate it if you

could test it and give us your feedback. We hope to release a finalized

version of System Protect in Q1 2008.

We would like to ask you to install the application, check its functions

and send us any bugs, comments or suggestions by posting in the new

forum created for System Protect here:

http://forum.spywareterminator.com/Default...topics&f=60

The application can be downloaded at http://www.system-protect.com/

From http://forum.spywareterminator.com/Default...osts&t=3601

Basically a file/folder guard from the guys at spyware terminator? Description seems similar to drivesentry?

I have not tried this yet nor am i recommending it. It is also BETA.

Lusher

I'll try it on my WinXP Home system that I just finished installing the Service Pack 3 RC1 upon.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Does that program run in the background?

Yes.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I don't like it :angry:

It prevents running Disk Cleanup that I think is necessary to clean out the Compacted files before a Defrag after a major download and install of a Service pack to keep the hard drive running at peak efficiency.

IE7Pro user

I don't like it :angry:

It prevents running Disk Cleanup that I think is necessary to clean out the Compacted files before a Defrag after a major download and install of a Service pack to keep the hard drive running at peak efficiency.

Hmm how often do you install a service pack?

It prevents running Disk Cleanup that I think is necessary to clean out the Compacted files before a Defrag

Um, disk cleanup doesn't 'clean out' compressed files, it compresses files that haven't been accessed for a certain length of time. This is generally a bad idea - they don't get uncompressed when they get accessed again so you can end up with a large amount of compressed files on your disk and these files will have slower disk read times. Unless you are nearly out of disk space there's no reason to do it, even then there are better ideas than compression.

Can be configured to "ask" rather than the recommended "block and inform".

This should prevent any problems when using a cleanup utility.

Information regarding which files, or series of files are protected (apart from those you define yourself) is rather scanty, so far.

I can't change Internet Options now :angry:

post-1268-1198475603_thumb.png

How do I fix this :blink:

post-1268-1198475603_thumb.png

IE7Pro user

Um, disk cleanup doesn't 'clean out' compressed files, it compresses files that haven't been accessed for a certain length of time. This is generally a bad idea - they don't get uncompressed when they get accessed again so you can end up with a large amount of compressed files on your disk and these files will have slower disk read times. Unless you are nearly out of disk space there's no reason to do it, even then there are better ideas than compression.

How can I prevent this?

This system is starting to slow down to the speed of molasses at the North Pole :angry:

IE7Pro user

YoKenny, try undoing stuff in the reverse order you did it. (As indicated above, you can't undo compress old files,) but you can uninstall System protect. Do it, and see if that makes a difference.

Must say, you're fairly brave running the SP3 release. It's fairly young. Did you save the service pack to disk? I ask in case you have to do a full reinstall of Windows. If you did save it, you could reinstall Windows, then install the SP. That's a way of "un-compressing" the old files. Hopefully someone might know a better way.

but you can uninstall System protect. Do it, and see if that makes a difference.

I did that and ran RegSeeker then NTREGOPT then did a reboot and it made no difference.

Must say, you're fairly brave running the SP3 release.
Its my test system and I don't do anything on it before I run it for about a week before updating my WinXP Pro system.

I ask in case you have to do a full reinstall of Windows.

I think I'll do that as a FORMAT then reinstall always amazes me at how fast the four year old 2.4GHZ P4 becomes. ;)

The system has an 80GB hard drive partitioned into two 40GB drives and I keep all the important stuff on the second partition.

I have a SP2 CD from Microsoft that I'll install but there probably will still be over 60 Updates to install.

I have nothing better to do as it is windy and cold here and Santa will be real busy for the next few hours so I'll warm this place up with some computing power.

I won't be installing the SP3 RC1 software and I'll wait until SP3 becomes GA.

IE7Pro user