PlexTools Burning Software

Tom AZ

I have an older version of PlexTools Pro XL burning software on my computer which I'd like to get rid of. However, I don't know what ever happened to the installer or the uninstaller. As a result, it won't let me upgrade to a newer version -- and it won't let me uninstall it either. It's just there and I can't do a thing with it (and it doesn't work properly, either)

What can I do? Would I run into serious trouble if I simply deleted the folder in which it's installed-- and then used a registry cleaner to try to clean and tidy things up a little?

• Moderators

1. I believe they use Windows Installer, therefore you'll probably have to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility by Microsoft.

2. Good luck with this process because then you're probably going to have to manually delete the program folder, followed by manually removing the registry program data in HKEY_CURRENT_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Maybe then it will let you upgrade.

Do note that newer versions of PlexTools which are freeware are really buggy (at least it was when I tested it, it made coaster after coaster of ruined discs). Compared to the older tried and true paid versions and those versions that shipped with purchased Plextor drives the new free version isn't worth the trouble in my opinion which is why I won't ever use PlexTools again - that and they don't really make their own drives anymore.

1. I believe they use Windows Installer, therefore you'll probably have to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility by Microsoft.

2. Good luck with this process because then you're probably going to have to manually delete the program folder, followed by manually removing the registry program data in HKEY_CURRENT_USERS and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Maybe then it will let you upgrade.

Do note that newer versions of PlexTools which are freeware are really buggy (at least it was when I tested it, it made coaster after coaster of ruined discs). Compared to the older tried and true paid versions and those versions that shipped with purchased Plextor drives the new free version isn't worth the trouble in my opinion which is why I won't ever use PlexTools again - that and they don't really make their own drives anymore.

Thanks for all the tips, Andavari. I have tried to uninstall (or upgrade) version 3.13 for at least a couple of months, but with no success. However, I just downloaded Revo Uninstaller 1.40, and what do you know -- it's now uninstalled -- gone. I don't know what's different about this particular uninstaller app, but what I do know is that PlexTools is gone. Thanks again for the help.

• Moderators
I just downloaded Revo Uninstaller 1.40, and what do you know -- it's now uninstalled -- gone. I don't know what's different about this particular uninstaller app, but what I do know is that PlexTools is gone.

Good thing you resorted to Revo Uninstaller because it saved you allot of time, I didn't know it could remove stuff without an uninstaller or in your case a broken uninstaller.

You're actually lucky because I know from using Total Uninstall that PlexTools installs a good amount of stuff that wouldn't be fun to remove manually.