CCleaner appears to have deleted the AOL Uninstaller

viciousRed

I recently decided to remove all AOL software from my laptop, when I went to trusty CCleaner to do this I was presented with an entry (in the Uninstall list under the Tools tab): AOL Uninstaller (Choose which Products to Remove). I clicked on this and hit Run Uninstaller and it loaded for a second and then nothing. When I decided to try using Windows own uninstaller (Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel) It informed me that the uninstaller file was missing. When I go to the AOL 9.0 directory and go to the uninstaller the icon has been replaced with the standard XP .exe file icon and when I click on it I am told that Windows is searching for the file 'aolunins_us.exe'. It's the error with the rolling torch (flashlight for you Americans on-line :) ). Then it tells me "Problem with Shortcut: The item 'aolunins_us.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?". It would appear CCleaner, rather than uninstalling AOL as I wanted it to, in fact uninstalled the uninstaller. Does this mean AOL is now eternally installed on my system? I've tried googling variations of the error messages and my predicament, but it would appear this has never happened to anyone in the world ever before.. grrrr.

Anyone experienced this or something like this before? Is there a restore function in CCleaners removal process? Is there anyway I can find this file again?

To get rid of AOL, you might try any of these.

From my own site go down to the "AOL 9 Removal Tool" and see if that works for you. http://www.viclovan.com/downloads2new.htm#catchall

If that doesn't work then you can just reinstall AOL from one of the coasters you have lying around and then uninstall it after that.

And I'm also wondering if you might have accidentally hit the "Delete Entry" button by mistake in the Tools part of CC?