how do you remain online?

ishan_rulz

i thought i would post this thread in this section .. i would want to stay online on a website for example say this very site .. Piriform Forums .. even if i switch off my PC .. in other words .. i don't want to log in every time i check in .. is this got something to do with cookies? .. could someone please explain what cookies to keep? there was an option in CCleaner "Cookies to Keep" .. i included Piriform (and other sites too).. but as soon as i ran CC.. i logged off from all the websites .. plz reply ASAP .. thnx alot in advance :)

Simplicity is hard.

You mean you want to remain "logged in" ... you can't be "online" if your PC is turned off.

For this forum, the cookie you require is forum.piriform.com but this appears to be one of those cookies that toggles back and forth between [1] and [2]. That is, when you log in, it is <user>@forum.piriform[1].txt but as soon as you do something on the site, it becomes <user>@forum.piriform[2].txt (this is the naming format displayed in the Cookies folder).

Cookies from sites such as news.google also do this.

CCleaner has always had problems with this type of cookie because it displays the cookie in the format used in the Temporary Internet Files folder (no [number] displayed) so it doesn't seem to protect the cookie after it toggles.

Also, some sites will log you out automatically after a set time.

For this forum, the cookie you require is forum.piriform.com but this appears to be one of those cookies that toggles back and forth between [1] and [2]. That is, when you log in, it is <user>@forum.piriform[1].txt but as soon as you do something on the site, it becomes <user>@forum.piriform[2].txt (this is the naming format displayed in the Cookies folder).

Just 'forum.piriform.com' works fine for me.

Just 'forum.piriform.com' works fine for me.

You're right. I just tried it and the toggling cookie problem no longer seems to exist. :) I had given up on this several versions ago ... I would lose my Google news settings approximately half the time, so I just quit trying.

you need to keep the cookie from the address of the actual forum

not the main website..

for instance, you keep the cookie for forum.piriform.com

not piriform.com

like Glenn said, some cookies are set to expire after a certain time.. (some cookies are set to expire once you close your browser) it's a security feature for the site, to keep people off of your account

if that's the case, you'll just have to live with logging in each time..

you can stay logged into this forum though. just save the cookie forum.piriform.com and it should work