helpsvc.exe issue

Tom AZ

I have an occasional problem with MS helpsvc.exe running for a long period of time and consuming lots of resources. Is this normal? If not, what's the best fix for it? I know it can be set to "manual" or "disable" in Services (services.msc), but is this wise -- or will that just cause other problems?

Excellent links ishan-rulz! I've been working on the same problem for about a week. :angry: The "Headlines" registry tweak did nothing. The hotfix from Microsoft doesn't work if you have XP SP2 (says it's already been fixed). Set the Help and Support Service to manual and ran System File Check (Run: sfc /scannow). Keeping my fingers crossed.

smilingralph

i think its safe disabling it .. i don't have anysuch prob with my helpsvc though .. does it REALLY "HELP" .. u can disable it from the Service menu .. (just a suggestion .. i am not sure .. as i am just 14 years old .. lol)

Simplicity is hard.

I know it can be set to "manual" or "disable" in Services (services.msc), but is this wise -- or will that just cause other problems?

Set it to manual, it doesn't need to be running automatically and it won't cause any problems.