Allow CCleaner throught Vista User Account Control!?!

JenC6979

I really hope that someone can help me here! I have a laptop that runs on Windows Vista. I installed CCleaner direct from the website and it was all working fine, running on startup etc, until one day, I was asked by CCleaner to install the new updated version (V2.0.1 or something like that). I installed it, restarted Windows and low and behold, a little box popped up that asked me to "allow" this programme to run??? Weird, as before it ran on its own and I never needed to allow it. I checked Windows Defender, the programme was allowed to run through there, I checked my Norton firewall, the programme was allowed to run through there, but still everytime I rebooted, it asked me to "Continue" or "Cancel"?!?! This would be OK if I was at the laptop every day, but I'm not and loved that fact that this programme would clean my laptop of all unwanted files in the background without me having to click anything or accept anything. :angry::angry:

Does anyone on here know how I can allow this programme to run like it used to without me having to accept it all the time? It's really frustrating me now and I don't want to have to use another programme because this one is the best I have EVER used!! PLEASE HELP ME!!

Many thanks!

You dont understand the way Vista security works - its more like *nix. You can fiddle with the setup through the local security policy editor (secpol.msc) but I do not support turning UAC off.

I tried to "fiddle" with the Security Policy and type in "secpol.msc" in the run box but I get this message:-

"Windows cannot find 'secpol.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

???????????????????????

There is also no option to allow this programme to run through Windows Defender. It's not blocked through there, its blocked through UAC!!!!!!!!!! Arrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Easier instructions to turn off UAC:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/12/19/t...-windows-vista/

I recommend you dont do it though. There is many problems associated with running as admin all the time which is what MS are trying to fix with UAC. IMHO by turning it off to "fix" your issue its an invitation to encounter more serious problems ahead like silent malware install that UAC would otherwise trap. CCleaner is an administrative tool that requires administrative rights plain and simple.

One option might be to appeal to Mr G to write a service based version of CCleaner and run it under the system security context on a scheduled basis.

I have used the workaround of right clicking the executable "CCleaner" and select "Properties" then ...

select "Compatibility" tab, then place a check mark in the box for "Run this program in compatibity mode for" and select Windows XP

Hope that helps..

Hi caldor,

I have been using it that way since I first got Vista and it works great, all the stuff that I need cleaner to do it does, which is basically clean out my unwanted cookies and temp folders... I guess the important thing is that if it does not help Jens situation, it can always be reversed by taking out the check mark ...

If anyone tries it out, please give the forum some feedback on this procedure.

Hi caldor,

I have been using it that way since I first got Vista and it works great, all the stuff that I need cleaner to do it does, which is basically clean out my unwanted cookies and temp folders... I guess the important thing is that if it does not help Jens situation, it can always be reversed by taking out the check mark ...

If anyone tries it out, please give the forum some feedback on this procedure.

You are an ABSOLUTE genius! IT WORKS!!! That stupid box doesn't pop up anymore! OMG!!! Thank you so much for ALL your help!!