Anti-Malware Log Files

Tom AZ

I assume that when CCleaner cleans anti-malware apps in the Application/Utility section (virus, spyware, etc.), for the most part, these are log files. Can these be cleaned, or should they not be cleaned? Is there any good reason for keeping these log files?

• Moderators

The only time a log is going to come in handy is if you've got an infection, or a false positive that you want to report to the vendor. However some logs can't be deleted by cleaning tools -- just look at AVG Anti-Virus scanning logs, and AntiVir scanning and event logs they remain intact and must be deleted from within the respective program.

It isn't always just logs though, for instance with AVG Anti-Virus it removes old already installed updates that serve no further purpose since they're already installed.

Also with AVG Anti-Virus if you use the winapp2.ini entry for version 7.5 it also deals with those large 40 plus MB .AVG files that to my knowledge are only created if changing the resident shield settings.

The only time a log is going to come in handy is if you've got an infection, or a false positive that you want to report to the vendor. However some logs can't be deleted by cleaning tools -- just look at AVG Anti-Virus scanning logs, and AntiVir scanning and event logs they remain intact and must be deleted from within the respective program.

It isn't always just logs though, for instance with AVG Anti-Virus it removes old already installed updates that serve no further purpose since they're already installed.

Also with AVG Anti-Virus if you use the winapp2.ini entry for version 7.5 it also deals with those large 40 plus MB .AVG files that to my knowledge are only created if changing the resident shield settings.

I do have winapp2.ini installed. Here are the specific apps I have:

AVG Anti-Virus Pro

SUPERAntiSpyware Pro

a-Squared Free

CCleaner recognizes all three of these. What do you think? Clean -- or not clean?

• Moderators

Like I stated earlier the logs are only useful if you have a malware infection and need to for instance post them in a HijackThis log, etc., other than that they can be deleted.

One exception though would be to keep the logs if you have the programs automatically scanning on a schedule where you could later view them to see if any malware was detected.