Restoring Registry Files

dyanne2

I ran CCleaner today and did the backup before cleaning the registry. A program that I have will not run now, and I think this may be the reason.

I'm new to this and I read through some of the posts that say to right click and then to click "merge" But there is no "merge" option listed. Would this be because it was done today?

Maybe the cleaning didn't even stop the program from running in the first place?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Are you right clicking the actual registry backup file that CCleaner created? From the CCleaner Beginneres guide (Link HERE):

Go to the folder where your Issues backup is located (default location is My Documents). The backup file will be something like this cc_20070130_1437. cc (CCleaner) 20070130 (Year, Month, Day) 1437 (Time, 24 hour clock). Right click on the file and click on Merge, you will be asked if you would like to add the information or not.

Are you right clicking the actual registry backup file that CCleaner created? From the CCleaner Beginneres guide (Link HERE):

The backup should have created a .reg file. All you should have to do is double left click on the backup file.

Thanks everyone. I always do the backup first and I just checked them again. For some reason, some are listed as "files" and some are listed as "registration entries" Double left-clicking the file only gave me the option to "open with" and see what was there. Right clicking the registration entries does offer the merge option, but yesterdays backup only appeared as a file for some reason.

In any event, I did a system restore last night and everything's back to normal.

... For some reason, some are listed as "files" and some are listed as "registration entries" ...

In Windows Explorer, do you have "Hide extensions for known file types" enabled? If so, disable it and check the "files" to see their extension. I suspect they have none.