Slow system Boot

Crazy_Land1

Hi there

Ok here is the deal, i had some trouble with World of War Craft so a friend said to try CCleaner so i did and i paid for the software and fixed all the problem it found but i was still having trouble so i did some reading up and found out it was my network card settings so i changed them to what Blizzard said to.....

That was yesterday now today i got up and turned my system on and went and made coffe and came back to my system to find that it wasn't loaded???? so i went and did other stuff for about 15 mins and still the system still handent booted fully, so i rebooted the system and sat here for 20 mins and then the system booted, what happened was the system went thru all the boot ups, i.e. hardware boot, Windows boot screen then got to the loading your personal settings screen and sat there for about 5 mins then i got the desktop screen with the background but no icons or taskbar or any thing else for about 15 mins, looking at my hard drive light and see that it was flashing told me it was doing some thing but what???

My system is a AMD AM2 4200+ with 4 gig of ram and took about a min to load with only Xfire and Norton and a game add-on called Giggles, thats all i have loading up at start up, thats the way my system boots up in about a min, well today at 10am i truned the system on and since then my system takes for ever to load, it locks up, it freezes up and when it does load after 20 mins the hdd ligh sits there and flashes non stop when it didn't do that befor, yesterday the only thing that i did different was change the network card setting and installed this program and the others that came with it, also just befor i started typing this i clciked on show log files from error killer and just now the log window poped up when it should have taken maybe tops 30 seconds.....

Any help with this would be great and if i can't get my system back to the way it was i guess i will have to uninstall these programs.... :(

This is very strange.... one other person has had a problem similiar to this... but it was some other setting that made CCleaner mess up his computer... a moderator should be along shortly to help out.

Honestly, I have CCleaner running on two PC's and never had a problem with it.

I know this might seem odd, but is it possible that something got knocked loose in your case? As if you bumped into it? But you mentioned that your desktop was clear...a system restore might be in order.

AJ

I know this might seem odd, but is it possible that something got knocked loose in your case? As if you bumped into it? But you mentioned that your desktop was clear...a system restore might be in order.

AJ

I wish it was that easy lol, i know that has not caused it since both my wifes comp and mine are on the out side of the desk between the wall and the desk leg, the desk is a big table 5'x9' so the legs are big enough the they can't be bumped..... But to be safe i did check to make sure any ways. :)

Ok system is back

I found a program Called Errorkiller on my system, they should name this for what it is a Systemkiller...

So what i did was

shut down system and unpluged network cable

boot to safe mode

run msconfig

set it to diagnostic Startup

exited msconfig with out restarting

uninstalled CCleaner

tried to uninstall Errorkiller but windows wouldn't let me

opened windows explorer went to errorkillers forlder and deleted it

then ran regedit and removed the reg for errorkiller

then ran norton system works 2006 in safe mode to do some cleaning up there

rebooted to windows

at this point only basic stuff was running and ended up with the windows clasic look, ok that was good system only took 5 mins to boot not 20 lol

opened control panel and went to add/remove programs and found errorkiller was still in the list so clicked uninstall

then opened windows explorore and went to where the errorkiller folder was and it was not there, good

then ran regedit looked for the entry for errorkiller and it was not there, good

ran norton systemworks 2006 and ran the norton windoctor, found some error so i clicked info and it found some entrys for errorkiller so i clicked fix

then rebooted system and crossed my fingers,toes,legs,arms and any thing else i could find to cross lol

system took 2 mins to boot, good

opened msconfig clicked Selective Startup clicked all the boxes in that, then clicked the startup tab

unclicked the things i didn't want to load, i.e. qttask for quick time, msmsgs for that hated windows messanger, Reader_sl for adobe reader 8 and Iburn for cyberlink Instant burn

(reason for telling the names is so others know what programs the short forms are for)

then clicked apply and then restart

and again recrossed every thing i could and with in a min or two system was back up and fully loaded, good

reinstalled CCleaner and rebooted system again and poof system was back up with in a min or two and working fine

So if you come a cross the program errorkiller or some one tells you to get it learn from me DON'T and i say again DON'T do it you don't want to spend the 6 hours i have trying to figer this out and fix it.

I don't recomending people to do this the way i did unless you know for sure what you are doing, regedit is not a place for people to play around in unless you know how to and know what you are doing, i have been working with comps since the old commador 64 days and with every one in this house we have 7 comps total.

So please don't do what i did and if this happens to you print out this info and take your system in and let some read this and fix it for you :)

so CCleaner is installed and doing its job not that other one is gone :) ohhh and AJ yea right now i real do wish it was some thing that got bumped lose in side my case rofl

Thanks AJ

• Moderators

Glad you managed to work things out Crazy land1 :)

By the way, CCleaner is totally free, did the place where you downloaded it from charge you for it?

Or do you mean you just made a donation which some people do.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com