New Tab suggestion...

Poolsharkzz

I am hoping that you folks in the future will make a new Tab specifically for "Utilities" only to go along with the "Windows" and "Applications" Tabs.

Why? Because the "Applications" list and all those sub-menus can become very lengthy!

I mean, scrolling down a very long list to begin with only to finally find the sub-menu "Utilities" is a bit of a pain and the whole thing can get very cluttered really easy.

Also, I would like to see more cleaning options available, especially in the Registry Integrity section.

After running CCleaner, I still have to run RegCleaner 4.3 and Free Windows Registry Repair 1.2 and then use the internal registry cleaner (and the drive cleaner) in HDCleaner 2.364.

Possible Options:

OLE Cleaner

Orphan File Reference Finder

Unused File Extensions

File and Folder Duplicate Cleaner

Right-click Context Menu List Editor

Shell Extensions List Editor

Just a few thoughts, keep up the great work!

OddTodd

"Never chalk your stick before miscueing"

XP Home SP3+

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor - E7300 @ 2.66 GHz

2.0 GB RAM (1024 MB x 2) DDR2 PC2-6400 (800 MHz)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Adapter

250 GB HD (master) / 250 GB HD (external)

Death_ray.gifNinja_vs_Pirate.gifUltimate_combo.gif

A few of them may go against CCleaners position of a safe reg cleaner.

There is one (AFAIK) safe addition to the reg cleaning that could be added - Regseeker has a section 'Old Start Menu items' that mainly cleans UEME_Runpath entries which as far as I can tell are completely harmless to remove. RegSeeker is one of the only reg cleaners I've seen that cleans these and the first time I ran it there were some 200 UEME_Runpath entries.

A few of them may go against CCleaners position of a safe reg cleaner.

There is one (AFAIK) safe addition to the reg cleaning that could be added - Regseeker has a section 'Old Start Menu items' that mainly cleans UEME_Runpath entries which as far as I can tell are completely harmless to remove. RegSeeker is one of the only reg cleaners I've seen that cleans these and the first time I ran it there were some 200 UEME_Runpath entries.

JDPower,

Super-great idea, I hope it is considered!!! But, always remember that CCleaner allows for the backup of all cleaned files, which in my opinion everybody should always be doing anyway...

* CCleaner should just auto-backup, without giving the option to the user, making CCleaner that much more safer - could this be hard-coded as a standard in an up-coming version?

I am running Windows ME (fully updated & ultra-tweaked for MAX Performance), 633Mhz, 256 MB Ram, IE 6 SP1, Firefox 2.0.0.7.

Once per week I run my Maintenance routine, for example on 9/26/07, CCleaner v200.500 did it's job very well and cleaned up a bunch of files, logs, and a few unused registry keys (ActiveX mostly) but a bunch of additional logs, reg keys, and such still remained:

FYI: Before running CCleaner, I uninstalled MS Paint & Kodak Image, ran Hijack This 2.02, updated WinUpdatesList from 1.20 to 1.21, and deleted a few icon files (.ico format).

RegCleaner 4.3.0.780:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HijackThis.exe]

@="C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\HIJACK THIS\\hijackthis.exe"

"Path"="C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\HIJACK THIS"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs\winupdates list]

"Order"=hex:08,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,C6,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,32,00,00,0

,00,00,\

00,00,24,00,32,00,BB,01,00,00,3B,37,48,B9,20,00,52,65,61,64,4D,65,2E,6C,6E,\

6B,00,52,45,41,44,4D,45,2E,4C,4E,4B,00,00,00,05,00,00,00,46,00,00,00,01,00,\

00,00,38,00,32,00,A0,01,00,00,3B,37,49,B9,20,00,55,6E,69,6E,73,74,61,6C,6C,\

20,57,69,6E,55,70,64,61,74,65,73,4C,69,73,74,2E,6C,6E,6B,00,55,4E,49,4E,53,\

54,7E,31,2E,4C,4E,4B,00,00,00,05,00,00,00,42,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,33,00,32,\

00,BC,01,00,00,3B,37,48,B9,20,00,57,69,6E,55,70,64,61,74,65,73,4C,69,73,74,\

20,48,65,6C,70,2E,6C,6E,6B,00,57,49,4E,55,50,44,7E,32,2E,4C,4E,4B,00,00,00,\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporary files]

"folder"="C:\\WINDOWS\\TEMP\\"

* (The WinUpdatesList entry list above is one of those old start menu entries you mentioned?)

HDCleaner 2.364:

Internal registry cleaner:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Imaging.Document\protocol\StdFileEditing\server]

""="C:\\WINDOWS\\KodakImg.Exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WangImage.Document\protocol\StdFileEditing\server]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\Imaging.Document\protocol\StdFileEditing\server]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\WangImage.Document\protocol\StdFileEditing\server]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StillImage\Events\STIProxyEvent\{D9FFB4DA-785A-496E-B1F8-30D67B53FF9B}]

"Cmdline"="C:\\WINDOWS\\KodakImg.Exe /StiDevice:%1 /StiEvent:%2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ICONCATCHER.EXE]

""=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\MSPAINT.EXE]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.txt]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.css]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.doc]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.js]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.zip]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ini]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpg]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.reg]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.chm]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ico]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.dll]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.xml]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.png]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.cpj]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.gif]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.cab]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mydocs]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.SYS]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mpg]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.bmp]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.hlp]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wmv]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mpeg]

""=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sbs]

""=""

Free Windows Registry Repair 1.2:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Wildfire Software Design\IconLab]

"Item5"="C:\\My Documents\\My Icons\\PinionX.ico"

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Wildfire Software Design\IconLab]

"Item2"="C:\\My Documents\\My Icons\\ffg.exe #128F.ico"

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\PMDevigneSoft\ChangeIcon]

"Sauve014"="C:\\My Documents\\My Icons\\PinionX.ico"

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\PMDevigneSoft\ChangeIcon]

"Sauve009"="C:\\My Documents\\My Icons\\ffg.exe #128F.ico"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wildfire Software Design\IconLab]

"Item5"="C:\\My Documents\\My Icons\\PinionX.ico"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wildfire Software Design\IconLab]

"Item2"="C:\\My Documents\\My Icons\\ffg.exe #128F.ico"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StillImage\Registered Applications]

"Imaging"="C:\\WINDOWS\\KodakImg.Exe /StiDevice:%1 /StiEvent:%2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\path4]

"CachePath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Temporary Internet Files\\Content.IE5\\Cache4"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\path3]

"CachePath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Temporary Internet Files\\Content.IE5\\Cache3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\path2]

"CachePath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Temporary Internet Files\\Content.IE5\\Cache2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\path1]

"CachePath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Temporary Internet Files\\Content.IE5\\Cache1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\WangImage.Document\protocol\StdFileEditing\server]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\KodakImg.Exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\Imaging.Document\protocol\StdFileEditing\server]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\KodakImg.Exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WangImage.Document\protocol\StdFileEditing\server]

@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Imaging.Document\protocol\StdFileEditing\server]

@=""

I ran these programs in this order: CCleaner, RegCleaner, Free Windows Registry Repair, HDCleaner's internal drive cleaner and HDCleaner's internal registry cleaner.

As you can see, after running CCleaner, there still is a bunch of "crap" behind, I was curious as to why and was hoping something additional could be added.

Could some of these be examples of what you mentioned - old UEME_Runpath entries?

I know that a few more unused file extensions could be added to the mix.

The addition of a 3rd tab - a Utilities Tab - as I suggested that listed all installed Utilities under a new 3rd tab could not hurt as well!

It would add to the safety factor by uncluttering the Applications Tab.

In closing, I have been using all mentioned programs for 3+ years without any troubles.

I'm sorry about the length, I thought it be best to display what I am talking about.

I see a brand-new version release of CCleaner at Major Geeks, I have to check it out!!!

Thanks,

OddTodd

"Never chalk your stick before miscueing"

XP Home SP3+

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor - E7300 @ 2.66 GHz

2.0 GB RAM (1024 MB x 2) DDR2 PC2-6400 (800 MHz)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Adapter

250 GB HD (master) / 250 GB HD (external)

Death_ray.gifNinja_vs_Pirate.gifUltimate_combo.gif