a bizarre computer problem...

Robbie

I've never had this happen before... last night when I went to bed I put my computer into Stand By rather than closing it down. When I powered on the computer this morning it started up then I got the Windows screen that said "Logging Off" and the computer closed down. I had to restart it and it's been fine since then (I checked and put it into stand by once more and it restarted properly with no problem).

Does anyone have an idea what may have caused this behaviour? It's never happened before. I hope my computer isn't on the way out...

• Moderators

I had a problem recently Robbie which I'm sure was caused by coming out of Standby. My prob was the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Thought my cd/dvd drive was goosed, but the Secondary IDE Channels had been reverted from DMA back to PIO.

I found this in a link from Hazel.

A further cause may be waking from standby mode, if one of the involved components does not perform this process correctly.

Using and coming out of Standby seems to be the cause of quite a few things. You just have to google "Standby Problems", there's a lot.

After my experience, I won't use it any more.

I have two laptops that I use 98% of the time I use a computer. Both machines are set up to go into standby/sleep mode when ever the lid is closed. I do this probably twenty times a day. They get rebooted about once a week the rest of the time they are in standby with the lid shut. I have never had one single problem caused by coming out of standby in 3 years with the one machine and a year now with the other. I simply open the lid and in about 3 seconds it's ready to go.

I have two laptops that I use 98% of the time I use a computer. Both machines are set up to go into standby/sleep mode when ever the lid is closed. I do this probably twenty times a day. They get rebooted about once a week the rest of the time they are in standby with the lid shut. I have never had one single problem caused by coming out of standby in 3 years with the one machine and a year now with the other. I simply open the lid and in about 3 seconds it's ready to go.
have you got your laptops to go into standby when you close the lid or is it a default setting?

have you got your laptops to go into standby when you close the lid or is it a default setting?

In Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced there are options there for what the computer should do when you close the lid or press the power button or sleep button etc. It can be set there. My laptops came with the option to put the machine in Standby when the lid is closed and I like it that way so I left it there. I would assume most everybody with a laptop has it set this way. It makes no sense to close the lid and leave the machine running unless I'm overlooking a good reason to do that.

My notebook go's into standby (by default) when you close the lid.

Never tried it , till after reading this.

Might just use it now instead of turning off completely. Thou I did notice all my system tray icons returned after bringing her back round. I only normally have just 2 icons there. Now I have a full set.

CraigM

I've just isolated an irritation on my lappy being caused by using standby - every time I come out of standby the scroll bars don't work properly. If I double click a scroll bar to grab it and scroll when I lift off the mousepad I'm still connected to the scroll bar and have to click again to 'let go' of it. Was driving me crazy and have literally just worked out it's coming out of standby somehow causing this irritation <_<

I would assume most everybody with a laptop has it set this way. It makes no sense to close the lid and leave the machine running unless I'm overlooking a good reason to do that.
I don't. My lappy is connected to the mains most of the time and I don't want it going into standby every time I briefly close the lid cos it's in the way or something like that (also now because of the above nuisance)

Interesting that so many have issues with coming out of standby/sleep mode. It has never caused me any problems and I use it every day. Much easier on my hard drive than shutting it down all the time. It's also much faster. I am ready to go a couple seconds after the lid is opened.