Cleaner and Firefox Cache

Hermann

to avoid a lot of defragmentation on disk C I always change the directory of the Firefox cache.

The cleaner does not find these files because it does not look to the about:config entries.

The entry that defines the location of the cache is at browser.cache.disk.parent_directory and should be scanned to find the used cache directory.

Hermann

• Moderators

You'll find in many instances that installing a software into a custom directory will mean CCleaner can't clean it. Which is why leaving things in their default folders and suggested install into locations is recommended.

You can however still use your custom directory, but you'll have to configure Firefox to remove the cache, etc., when you exit it. This can be done in Firefox via Tools->Options->Privacy->Settings although you have to tick the box to have Firefox automatically clean on exit.

P.S. Welcome to the Piriform Forums! :)

• 1 year later...
You'll find in many instances that installing a software into a custom directory will mean CCleaner can't clean it. Which is why leaving things in their default folders and suggested install into locations is recommended.

You can however still use your custom directory, but you'll have to configure Firefox to remove the cache, etc., when you exit it. This can be done in Firefox via Tools->Options->Privacy->Settings although you have to tick the box to have Firefox automatically clean on exit.

P.S. Welcome to the Piriform Forums! :)

why not configure for to see if the entry user_pref("browser.cache.disk.parent_directory", "D:\\TEMP\\Firefox\\Cache"); exists in the file prefs.js ?, and if exists use it

advance user prefer put cache folder in other HD different from OS for many reseason: more clean OS partition, less defrag HD, more speed to acces data (access simultaneous to HD OS and cache HD)....

For example I use a partintion in other HD for all cache and temp folder: pagefile.sys, windows temps, IE temp, firefox cache, and other apps.

Sorry for my bad English.

Reparse points may be a better way to go.

Copy the existing cache folder and contents to D:\cache or whatever your alternative choice may be,

and then replace the original location with a link pointing at the new location.

This technique can be applied to more than the cache.

I have used it to move half of my C:\ system drive contents elsewhere,

and everything still works perfectly.

The only things that seem to know the difference and yet work perfectly are :-

PerfectDisc which restricts defragging to what is REALLY present on C:\,

and Acronis True Image now makes a backup of C:\ that is 60% the size of what it used to be.

Also EASEUS partition manager does not get confused, and still does the right things.

Regards

Alan