CCleaner won't stop scanning

raacs

When I run CCleaner, it somehow gets lost and just runs and runs. Even when left overnight, it will still be running the next day.

I finally tracked this down to the step under "Internet Explorer" called "Temporary Internet Files" by trial and error. I started by unchecking everything except "Empty Recycle Bin" and then using the "Analyze" and "Run Cleaner". Then I checked one at a time until I found the step that was causing problems. Whether it is the only one checked, or everything is checked, the "Temporary Internet Files" step causes this problem. Even manually cleaning this directory (including hidden files) did not make the problem go away.

Using the Task Manager to kill the program causes the window to close, but the process continues to take most of the CPU cycles. Killing the process or the process tree doesn't make the process stop. The only way to get rid of the process is to shut down the system. Sometimes that requires a hard power off.

I used the SysInternals File Monitor and Process Explorer to investigate. Both seem to confirm that after CCleaner scans the "Temporary Internet Files" directory, it starts opening the C: root over and over. It appears that it is in an endless loop at that point.

The computer is running Windows XP SvcPk 2 and is fully patched.

(Lets see, did I miss anything important? ;))

• 4 weeks later...

New development: I just uninstalled Symantec Internet Security and installed ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. There were 2 main affects that I noticed. 1) My computer now runs consistently about 35% faster. 2) CCleaner no longer hangs up when trying to clean the temporary internet files!

It now comes up with the list of changes in less than 5 seconds. Everything cleans right!

No more Symantiec Internet Security = No more problems!!!!!!!!

New development: I just uninstalled Symantec Internet Security and installed ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. There were 2 main affects that I noticed. 1) My computer now runs consistently about 35% faster. 2) CCleaner no longer hangs up when trying to clean the temporary internet files!

It now comes up with the list of changes in less than 5 seconds. Everything cleans right!

No more Symantiec Internet Security = No more problems!!!!!!!!

You may want to run the Norton removal tool, it has a habit of leaving stuff behind after an uninstall:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039