CCleaner vs Windows Live Online Safety Cleanup

TechHarmony

Hi,

I have just been comparing results of running CCleaner (latest 2.00.495) vs. the relatively new MS Windows free online live safety Clean Up process. (the online free version of their new Live OneCare product).

File Clean Up Phase:

I run the MS Windows Live Online Safety Cleaning routine ("Clean up") and it says it finds 18.8 MB AFTER I have run the CCleaner. I did check and make sure that the Recycle Trash was empty before I started the Windows Clean up, so it is not that. I wonder what they found?

Unfortunately, they do not actually tell you what they found, only that stuff was found, stuff was compressed and now all clean. They do not say what. And even more weird, since they apparently compress those files, they don't tell you what name is or where they put them..... guess that is the MS way.

Registry Clean Phase:

THis one is probably tobe expected, as my guess is that every 'brand' of registry cleaner will find different results:

I ran CCleaner, two passes (my usual process, as a second pass often (not always) finds things that the errors discovered in first pass effectively 'hide' till they are cleaned out). I let it correct all in both passes -- about 55 items first pass, about 20 items second pass.

Then I ran the online Windows Live Safety Clean up, and it found 123 registry items to fix.

As above, they dont tell you what was wrong, its either do it all or exit out of both tempfiles and regclean process and do not let it clean anything.

Any comments about how the MS online cleaner finds so much after CCleaner runs?

Thank you. Great Program. I recommend it to all my PC friends.

The Universe is intelligent and friendly 8-)

CCleaner works on Vista but is not fully supportive all of the features in Vista that could be privacy issues. One of the biggest contributors to the additional megs you find are deleted on live cleanup is CCleaner doesnt remove the Vista thumbnail cache.