Start Menu MRU's(?) missing

RonAero1

After running CCleaner, my Start Menu MRU's(?) are missing. (I think that they are called MRU's.

It's the Start list of recently used programs. They are gone and won't come back!

Anyone know how to get them back?

Thanks

Untick the 'User assist history' in the cleaners advanced section (the list will automatically rebuild). Its generally best not to have anything in the advanced section ticked unless you know what you're doing. Have a read of the beginners guide for more info on what each option does:

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

• Moderators

If you right click on your start button and choose properties start menu, customise you may be able to see if some options have been changed in there, eg how many are listed in the number of start menu items under the general tab.

In the advanced ( be careful, and remember what you do) does anything look obvious?

Also have a read here

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmfu.htm

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

How did you open the programs that did not add to the MRU list? Some applications, e.g., Word, will not be added to the list if you double click a file to open the associated application. You have to open the application directly using Start > All Programs > ... (Oddly, Excel doesn't have this quirk.)

Some applications seem to require several uses before being added.

Some applications are excluded and will never be added automatically . You have to manually add them to the pinned list.

• 2 years later...
After running CCleaner, my Start Menu MRU's(?) are missing. (I think that they are called MRU's.

It's the Start list of recently used programs. They are gone and won't come back!

Anyone know how to get them back?

Thanks

:( Was this ever resolved? I had the same thing happen to me (XP). I followed the links provided, but none of the registry keys listed are in my registry. The MFU list in the Start menu just won't come back.

• 9 months later...

This is a major issue! It happened seemingly out of the blue to me as well, and I cant figure out how to fix it. I have no advanced options ticked. Is there anything out there that can maybe run through your Add/Remove programs and then rebuild the Start Menu based on all of the software located in that? I have a ton of software that is now a huge pain to load by navigating to Program Files directly.

Suckage.

:( Was this ever resolved? I had the same thing happen to me (XP). I followed the links provided, but none of the registry keys listed are in my registry. The MFU list in the Start menu just won't come back.

• Moderators

I wonder if having the "Recent Documents" box checked in "CCleaner\Windows\Windows Explorer" would affect the re-population of the Start Menu. I can't try it as my Start Menu is static. I have 20+ pinned shortcuts on there.

Recent Documents

When you open a document or file in Windows, a record of this is stored under the Recent Documents list on the Start menu. Selecting this option will clear this list. (Note: The documents themselves are left untouched.)

If you have it checked, try unchecking it.

Another option would be to try "Tweak UI", which has a section on the "Start Menu". It lists all the programs on your PC (least ways it seems to list about all of them on mine), and gives you a checkbox to include them or not on the Start Menu.

Dq0U6s.jpg

It's a free Windows "PowerToy", has many useful little tricks, and is used by a few of the members on here including yours truly.

It just might do the trick.

Tweak UI: (Download is halfway down the page)

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Tweak UI is for XP only.