Various Windows Questions.

speytone

I am assuming most of this stuff comes from the automatic downloads.

But, what is the pupose of Windows Presentation Foundation, and Workflow Foundation? I looked i googled it, and it doesnt seem ot be anything id ever use at work or at home. Work we only really usethe PCs for Web Browsing, Outlook, A POS system, and spreadhseets.

If i were to remove these things am i going ot notice a difference of my day t oday activites.

Same applies ot the .NET framework?

At home i only use my stuff for surfing, email and music production?

Can i do away with these?

Based on your stated uses, you probably don't need these but some applications (e.g., Paint.NET, Roxio EMC, etc.) require .NET Framework to run. Unless you're really short on drive space, I'd leave it alone.

At work: Are you the owner? If not, maybe you shouldn't be messing with the software. Is it possible that the POS system requires .NET Framework and Windows Presentation Foundation and/or Workflow Foundation?

• Moderators
Windows Presentation Foundation, and Workflow Foundation

I thought both of those were installed by .NET Framework v3.0, then again I remember vaguely something about them when I last had IE7 installed. :unsure: Perhaps someone else can clear that up.

At work: Are you the owner? If not, maybe you shouldn't be messing with the software. Is it possible that the POS system requires .NET Framework and Windows Presentation Foundation and/or Workflow Foundation?

no. I am the "administrator" so to speak. And some of the users have down loaded the updates. It's a smaller sized business in the hardware and lumber industry. I have the owners consent to baby sit these machines.

The sad thing is its a situation where some employees have "special agreements" with the owner/ GM and have had all my networking policies i had in place removed. I am forever removing peer to peer software and other such fun things from these people computers. Its frustraitng as hell.

Anyways. Its not a huge deal. I was just curious if they were vital Windows Components.

Are POS systems are Super Dos based. ITs fun. I spent a few years getting brushed up on decent technology only to spend my time babysitting DOS based software. Fun... but limited to the programmers scripts.

Thanks anyways guys.

• Moderators
I am assuming most of this stuff comes from the automatic downloads.

But, what is the pupose of Windows Presentation Foundation, and Workflow Foundation?

Windows Presentation Foundation, and Workflow Foundation was something I binned some time ago. I think you would only need them if you were a developer. I've happily lived without them for months.

I also got rid of .NET framework 3. Something that came with it kept grabbing quite a bit of CPU resource, which disappeared after I binned it, and I haven't yet had any probs viewing web pages or running software.

EDIT: I should add, that if you have NET 3 and you don't have problems, then maybe just leave it there, but you do need the other versions to run with it. Don't get rid of NET 1, NET 2 etc.

• Moderators
Don't get rid of NET 1, NET 2 etc.

Exactly.

The way MS has coded .NET Framework is a bit of a head scratcher. :huh:

I remember dumping version 1 when version 2 came out only to find an app I had installed needed version 1 in order to function which was one of the bleeping you've got to be kidding me moments, followed by reinstalling version 1 of course. :rolleyes: