Chess Programs

DennisD

• Moderators

Starting this new thread as a continuation of the "Vista gets a Public Challenge" one. Lot of good stuff there on chess programs, but I'm way off topic if I post there again.

Some good looking stuff here, about a third of the way down the page, which I found from one of firery's links. Thanks mate.

lotse and I were puzzled about "bitbases", which are on the "Slow Chess Blitz" web page. I downloaded a zip file of these, and unzipped them to the Slow Chess Blitz folder.

If I double click these files, they each open the Slow Chess GUI in a new game, but what exactly they do from that point, I've no idea although they obviously have something to do with endgames or endgame strategy.

I've seen other, different filetypes, which probably do the same in different engines, but once again this is new to me.

Up until finding Slow Chess, which I think is a pretty good program, I played against the PS2, so the internet world of separate chess engines and separate GUI's is something I haven't encountered before.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks.

:)

Apologies for the bump guys, but where are all the Chess players???

1%20(83).gif

Love this guy. 2nd time he's been out of his cage.

Have a new computer with Vista. It has a very nice chess game. Still can't come close to beating it however

I have never beaten a computer at chess. Come to think of it I have rarely even won any game of chess, computer or human based.

On the one notable exception where I did win, the chess game lasted 3 days and was washed down with a crate of beer and countless cigarettes :lol::lol:

Good times.

• Moderators
I have never beaten a computer at chess. Come to think of it I have rarely even won any game of chess, computer or human based.

On the one notable exception where I did win, the chess game lasted 3 days and was washed down with a crate of beer and countless cigarettes :lol::lol:

Good times.

A lot of years ago, I really got into the game. Read endless books about the various openings and defences etc, joined a chess club and really enjoyed it.

Now, and this might just be age, thinking too hard gives me a headache, but I'm gonna get back into it, but not so seriously. That SlowChessBlitz is pretty good.

just this very second I WON!!!! Vista chess but it was at level 2

Hey, take everything you can get, but let us know when you beat level 3. But don't forget, we're all getting older. :D

Now, and this might just be age, thinking too hard gives me a headache, but I'm gonna get back into it, but not so seriously.

Know exactly what you mean Dennis.th_Silly_avatar_by_Dicx.gif

Vista's Chess Titans has great graphics and I have only played only about 10 games.

Only won one game at beginners level so I ain't that good and I think I was much better when in high school playing against fellow classmates.

• 1 month later...