1st time user with a question?

Searcher1

Hi All

Like many folk I came to CCleaner by a search for ways to clean up my PC and get running more smoothly.

I installed it a while ago v 1.36.430 and I have used it with caution by using the analyse function to 'look' at what is being offered for removal then making the decision to "clean".

I actually "cleaned" with for the first time yesterday B)

So, for now I would some feedback on this:-

"System -Empty Recycle bin" my bin had been emptied by via the desktop already but CCleaner found 178MB of files mainly or many in the User & Settings folder(s) but as these (mostly) were associated with applications like flash player and dcouments being opened I went ahead and 'cleaned' them.

But my question is, if the Windows Recycle Bin was already empty just what was CC identifying?

TIA :)

• Moderators
But my question is, if the Windows Recycle Bin was already empty just what was CC identifying?

Hello, and welcome to the Piriform forums! :)

CCleaner doesn't just clear the Recycle Bin, it would have found other junk such as:

• Temporary Files located in your global system temporary folder, can be found in Windows XP by clicking Start->Run->type in: %temp%

• Web browser cache/temporary internet files, and cookies in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, etc.

• Junk created by programs such as Adobe Flash Player cache, Adobe Reader ("Adobe Acrobat Reader"), Sun Java Runtime Environment SE cache, etc.

• Anti-virus/Anti-spyware: Old scanning and update logs, and already successfully installed updates, etc.

Most of the stuff besides the Recycle Bin was probably temporary files in the %temp% folder, and Web browser cache/temporary internet files.

Also see the CCleaner Beginner's Guide, you can even download it for a local copy.

Hi

Thanks for the very speedy reply, just got to love the world wide community that the www provides :D

Yes, I surmised it was finding 'other junk' but as I had only ticked the box for 'System -Empty Recycle bin' I found it puzzling hence the question to which incidently I could not readily see the answer in the online help or beiginners guide?

The one thing I forgot to try was copying and pasting the analysis report, always nice know what was done - perhaps report exporting/logging could be added?

:)