PC suppliers stepping back from Vista

JDPower

Just stumbled across this article and thought it was of interest: http://www.crn.com/white-box/200900857

Dell Computer isn't the only one warning clients of the pitfalls of moving to Microsoft's Vista operating system.

System builders and VARs, however, aren't just talking about it. They are are ripping the much ballyhooed operating system off desktops and notebooks at a breakneck pace because of the problems that come with moving clients to Vista.

Funny that JD, I was just wondering earlier today how long ms might be supporting XP.

Well officially its supported till 2014 (one reason I had no problem insisting on XP over Vista on the new lappy I just ordered ;) )

I wouldn't trust anything Dell says. I'm sure all the complaints they recieve about thier PC's are more down to there under-powered, penny-pinching, cheap as s**t hardware, more than the operating system itself. A bit like Acer.

As for up grading Vista to a company level - I have no idea. On a home level, it works very well for me.

Xp cannot be the be-all and end-all, something has to take its place.

I hope you guys are right about MS supporting XP. I read an article today that says MS will start to phase out XP support next year.

I've seen that mentioned a couple of times, its normally people confusing the support issue with when MS stops systems being sold with Vista (I believe that was due to happen the end of this year).

A quick Google found this re the 2014 support: http://www.crn.com/software/197000329

• Moderators
I'm sure all the complaints they recieve about thier PC's are more down to there under-powered, penny-pinching, cheap as s**t hardware, more than the operating system itself.

Not a very comforting thought for any Dell owners on here. ;)

Xp cannot be the be-all and end-all, something has to take its place.

Yes, XP SP3. :D