FBI tries to fight zombie hordes

Humpty

The FBI is contacting more than one million PC owners who have had their computers hijacked by cyber criminals.

The initiative is part of an ongoing project to thwart the use of hijacked home computers, or zombies, as launch platforms for hi-tech crimes.

The FBI has found networks of zombie computers being used to spread spam, steal IDs and attack websites.

The agency said the zombies or bots were "a growing threat to national security".

BBC Article

• Moderators

Not surprising.

I'm surprised they weren't doing this sooner but I don't know why its the FBI doing it.

I had an aunt call me about a month ago and tell me that her ISP cut her internet off because her computer was infected and sending out spam emails.(she was of course calling me to come fix it. :P) She was on people pc dial up. :(

I wish ISPs would offer decent free security software(mcafee doesn't count comcast! <_<) and let the users know that it exists. A lot of people don't even know that their ISPs more then likely offer some type of software for free. I don't think it should be required to be installed but at least recommend it.(especially if they actually come out to hook it up)

I wish ISPs would offer decent free security software(mcafee doesn't count comcast! <_<) and let the users know that it exists. A lot of people don't even know that their ISPs more then likely offer some type of software for free. I don't think it should be required to be installed but at least recommend it.(especially if they actually come out to hook it up)

Absalootley right. How about if Microsoft offered good security software? Today I saw a product called Microsoft One Care or something like that. Fifty bucks. . . . Fifty bucks. It's like saying "Here, that new car you bought, for fifty bucks I'll make it run right." <_<

The Microsoft guys could easily contract with some really good firewall/AV company to furnish their product for free for genuine windows users. Pay the FW/AV company big bunch of money just for the use of their product. They (the smaller company) do the R&D work, and the updates and maintenance. MS just uses it and gives them the credit (and a fee). Good name recognition boost for the smaller company, cheap (relatively) for Microsoft, lets the customer know Microsoft is concerned. Nobody loses. Make the contract time limited. . .if the software isn't the best available next year, Microsoft contracts with someone else.

Bill Gates must have thought of this idea. Wonder why they don't do it?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I knew it was bad..but not that bad...lol.

It's sad when I go over to help out one of my friends...run a program like Ad-Aware...and come up with over 2000 entries within the first 5 minutes. I hate it when they go out onto bad sites with no protection.

AJ