defrag won't run

rapsus

I have a problem with an older operating system 98.. defrag won't run. i see that other cleaner programs do they're own defrag and i'm wondering if CCleaner does that?

If CCleaner doesn't perform a defrag does anyone know of a freeware defrag fix. the old computer ain't worth spending bucks on. It's my mates and i'm trying to help out.

Also does CCleaner fix all registry faults? I know it deletes from registry but does it replace missing files?

Thanks

I have a problem with an older operating system 98.. defrag won't run. i see that other cleaner programs do they're own defrag and i'm wondering if CCleaner does that?

If CCleaner doesn't perform a defrag does anyone know of a freeware defrag fix. the old computer ain't worth spending bucks on. It's my mates and i'm trying to help out.

Also does CCleaner fix all registry faults? I know it deletes from registry but does it replace missing files?

No CCleaner does not defrag. With regards to your defrag problem there are some good suggestions for someone with a similar problem here:

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum...ag-failing.html

As for the registry, CCleaner only cleans invalid entries that should be safe to remove. Other reg cleaners will find alot more entries to fix but at the risk of removing valid entries and corrupting the registry so stick with CCleaners reg (issues) cleaner, and make backups when it prompts you, if you want to avoid causing damage.

It can't replace missing reg entries, and no reg cleaner can really unless it was responsible for removing them in the first place and made a backup.

• Moderators

Basically you need to get your hands on the WinMe defrag which is available from multiple sites via a search, as it fixes allot of problems that are in the Win9x defrag. In any event even with the WinMe defrag antivirus software real-time scanning should be disabled in order to defrag a Win9x computer without interruptions, staling, and endless looping of defrag.